May: Freshman Year

Ring! The doorbell interrupted Kat, Kim, and Kyran eating breakfast. Kat looked out the window. Empty. "Did anyone order a package?" Kat asked. "No?" Kim shrugged. "I didn't." Kyran said. Kat went to the window and looked out. No one. Kat opened the door slightly. "Boo!" Valerie pushed the door open all the way, scaring Kat. "AAAÇ!" A short high pitched noise came from the bottom of her throat. "Shit, you scared me." Kat looked at her. Valerie started laughing. "Valerie!" Kim excitedly ran to their friend and gave her a hug. Valerie squeezed Kim and picked her up. "Ahh." Kim squealed in surprise. "I got my arm braces off and I've been working my arm muscles to make up for the months in bandages." She said. "You look much better! But don't let anyone get in your head." Kat joked looking at the bandage on her head. "Thanks. I'll keep strong." She said. "You three should come to my place. I want to show you the renovations we got after it was trashed and robbed several times." She said excitedly. "Hold on, give us five minutes to change then we'll be ready." ...

"Wow! Valerie! It's so pretty." Kim exclaimed when she went to Valerie's house. "I love the Japanese furniture." She said. Kyran sat down on the kotatsu in the living room. "So so nice." He yawned. "Thanks. Everyone supporting the gofundme was so nice and awesome. They gave us enough money to redecorate. And who would want to steal unusual foreign furniture that they don't know how to use?" Valerie said. "Come see my room!" She said excitedly. She led them to the back of the house and took a right. "The pink is beautiful, Rainbow would love it!" Kim said. Valerie's flat bed was on the corner of the room while she had a bamboo plant in the other corner. She had a painting of a Sakura tree. She had red lanterns hanging from her ceiling and shoji doors that opened to the backyard patio. The door to her closet was also a shoji door. She had a white rug under her bed and Blazer slept on. She had a large dresser with a bulliten mirror on top. She had pictures of the KREW and family on it. "Wow. It's really authentic. And it's cute and warm. I wouldn't mind living here." Kat said and felt her tummy rumble. "Hungry?" Valerie asked. Kat nodded. "Takoyaki or onigiri?" She asked. "Takoyaki for lunch actually sounds great, Valerie." Kat said. "There are leftovers in the fridge from when my mom made them an hour ago. There should be some other snacks in there too. Eat whatever you would like, there is some mochi in the freezer." She said opening the fridge. Kat grabbed a plate of takoyaki and put it in the microwave for ten seconds and topped it with sauce and bonito flakes. "And while you eat, I got a little something special for us." She said as she went over to the kotatsu and started digging through envelopes. "Got it!" She said excitedly and walked over to them. She held a bunch of papers in her hands. "Allen's birthday is coming up and I know we want to celebrate so I got us something special to celebrate." Valerie said excitedly. She slid all the notes on the table like she was spreading out a deck of cards. "Wow!" Kim said as she looked at them. Valerie smirked. "I got the whole KREW tickets to Canada's Wonderland amusement park in Ontario." Valerie said. "Really?! I've always wanted to go there for years but I've never been!" Kat said. "I don't think any of us have been since Ontario is on the other side of Canada." Kyran said. "So who's coming?" Kim asked. "The four of us, Allen obviously, Rainbow, Wenny, Alec, Senpai, and Michaela." Valerie said. "I want to go get passports and leave the Friday after his birthday since it's Wednesday." She said. "Let's surprise him by celebrating his actual birthday at the night market. And we can allow him not to go to school on Thursday." Kyran suggested. "I don't think any of us will be going to school on Thursday because we'll be packing right?" Kim asked. "Well maybe. I think the flight leaves early Friday morning. I got tickets for the whole weekend and I guess we won't be able to make it on Monday since that's when it lands." Valerie said. "I'm sooo excited. Allen will love this since it'll be a new experience." Kat said.

"Who's this?" Kat asked. The whole KREW arrived at the airport at four in the morning.A sleepy girl slept on Alec's back while his mom got them passports. "This is Ally. She's my sister." Alec said. She gently snored on Alec's back. "How old is she and how come you haven't told me about her?" Kat asked. "13. She's in the seventh grade. Younger by two years and I never told you because you haven't crossed paths. She doesn't know yall but it would be a good experience for her. She's quiet and only sticks with people she's known and I think it's time she met new people. Ally's nice and playful and I think the KREW would like her." He said. "Once she gets used to us but knowing you, I think she'll fit right in with us. They boarded the plane after going through security. Alec's mom and Valerie's parents were chaperoning their vacation. "Ally, you sit by the window, Alec, you're next to her, and I'll sit next to you two." Alec's mom said. Kat frowned. "I wanted to sit next to Alec." She pouted. "You can ask to see if she lets you." Rainbow said. "But we already paid for plane seats, are we allowed to switch?" Kat asked. Rainbow shrugged. "It's been years since I've been on a plane. But I'm sure you can." She said. "Okay." Kat looked back and blushed. "I'm shy." She said. "Then I'll talk to her for you. But you're coming with." Rainbow got up from her seat, leaving Allen in a row alone, anxiously. "Hey, uh, Mrs. Ng!" Rainbow greeted herself. "Hi." She waved nervously. "Kat just wanted to ask if you could switch seats. She had wanted to sit next to Alec for the flight." Rainbow told her. She looked confused. "She wants to switch seats?" His mom repeated. "Yes I do. But if you can't, that's fine. I-I just wanted to be next to him." Kat said shyly. Both girls turned to Alec. "I would like to sit next to her. It would be great actually." He said. "Where would I sit?" She asked. "In my seat, next to Rainbow. We sit right in front of you." She said. Rainbow's eyes widened. She'll have to sit next to the woman for the next five hours. "Okay. I'm fine with that." She said. His mom got up and sat in Kat's old seat next to Rainbow. Kat sat down next to Alec. He put his arms protectively around her shoulders. "So why did you actually want to sit next to me?" Alec asked. "No reason,I just wanted to. And maybe get to know Ally." She said. Alec smirked. He pulled out his laptop. "Do you wanna watch movies during the flight?" He asked. "I would love to. What's your favorite?" Kat asked. "Wanna watch My Neighbor Totoro? It's one of my favorite movies. Or Cheaper By The Dozen?" He asked. "Sure." Alec brought a bag and brought out a big blanket and covered all three of them. They had snacks and bundled up with the blankets and neck pillows. But eventually Kat fell asleep on Alec's chest listening to the rhythm of his heartbeat. The kids had all fallen asleep due to waking up so early and their previous excitement prevented them from sleeping. After ten hours the plane lands and they all get off. They get their hotels settled. Kat sleeps with her siblings and Alec stays with his family and Kyran. Valerie stays in a room shared with Senpai and Michaela. ...