GRIHA SUDHI

Hey Janardan, What great sin did I ever commit for you to put me in such a difficult situation, one after another?

First, it was the kidnapping, then Thakur Moshai came with a marriage proposal and now this man.

What did I ever do to deserve such disgrace? What did my family ever do to dissatisfy you? We have always been devoted to you, even when we were declared ekghora, we believed in you. That belief was what got us through these two years of struggle.

I want peace, Janardan! Is it too much to ask for?

That man was following me, I could feel it. I could hear the leaves crunch and the earth move with every step he took.

What did he want from me?

At first he genuinely felt like a nice man though by his poshak (clothing style) i reckon he is from a wealthy family.

So what does he have to do with me? Why is he following me? All I was doing was minding my own business, he was the one who approached me!

"Daran Kotta!" I hear a man shout.
(Wait Master!)

I turned around to see if he was still following me. I could see him but he was not running. His arm was held by a man. Probably his lethel.

Oh bless that man whoever he is that stopped him!

But what is that burning smell?

Shaking my head I focus on running away as far as possible from this place.

Taking a turn I reach my house when I notice the most horrific scene I could ever see.

Thakur Moshai was there. So was his disciple and so were my family members.

My father again on his knees, the second time I have ever seen him like this. In his most vulnerable state. While my brother hugged my Bouthan, trying to comfort her as she bawled her eyes out.

In front of me is my house; Or at least was my house.

"E ki hocche!!" I scream at the top of my lungs.

(What is happening?)

My house was in the process of being burnt to a crisp. And who did it?

Thakur Moshai and his disciple, Bhikhu.

"Ei dekh, tor meye o eshe geche."

(Look! Your daughter's here) Bhikhu said while laughing.

How heartless can a person be? Weren't they supposed to be people of God? The one closest to reaching salvation? Then how can they laugh after turning a person's home?

"Khukhi! Tui ki Bhikhu ke biye korbi bokechilish?"
Were the first words my brother uttered as saw me.
(Khukhi did you really agree to marry Bhikhu?)

My head snaps towards Thakur Moshai. I never agreed to such a thing.

I look at them baffled as my attention moves to my family. Borda, realizing something fishy, gives me a knowing look while glaring at Bhikhu.

"Ei adhamra meye ke bari rekhe to Kom pap korili na. Toder jonno shodhu tor poribar na shara para r Janardhan er kache khoma chaite hobe." Thakur says infuriated.
(By keeping this disgraceful daughter of your at home even after she had passed the age of marriage you have committed enough sin. The existence of not only this girl but you entire family causes every one in this neighborhood to succumb to the wrath of the gods.)

"Ta bole apni amar bari dhonsho korte ashben?"
(Is that why you have decided to destroy our home?)

"Oi je bolechilam na. Bari puriye tor barir shudhu korchi. Tor ekghore howar din korechilam, ekhn o abar korchi."
He says in the most despicable voice a person could put out.
(Didn't I tell you before? Burning you house will purify this land. The day you were declared Ekghora we did this and again today we are purifying your house again)

"Bhalo bhebe enechilum tor meye r jonno ei patro. Bamun barir chele r shommondo. Tor ei meye ke bamun ki, shudro r o shob theke nichu jaat o biye korbe na!" He spat at my brother.
( I had brought this proposal for you daughter's own good. A son from a Brahmin family but no! For you no man is eligible for your oh so innocent daughter! But let me tell you this, no man, regardless of who they are would never marry her, even if the are the lowest of low borns.)

"Bhogoban er koto kache r hole bamun bari te Thai pawar shoubhaggi hoye!"
(You need to have pleased god with great dedication that he would then  destined you to marry into a Brahmin family.)

"Shei shoubhaggi to tor r dhore rakhar moton khomota nei tai shudhu korlam." Bhikhu added.
(But here you seem to not have the power to accept such grace from God!)

"Apni to bolechilen Moshai, je amar Bon r biye korte parbena. R apni dekhe neben je amar bon kake biye kore. Tahole ajke eishob korar mane ta ki.!" My brother shouted, shaking with rage.
(But Moshai(mister)  you had mentioned before that you will see to if that no one marries my sister! Then why the sudden change of heart now?)

Tears started forming in my eyes. I was too overwhelmed to understand anything that was happening in my surroundings.

Was me being unmarried the only reason for them to come to my house and destroy it? Was it that easy for them, just because we were sinners?

Wait! My mother's only remaining belongings are inside. My Janardan is inside the house!

I breathe quickens.

They knew we were Janardan devotees and yet chose to burn our house. And Maa's belongings!

"Tokhn bolechilam karon kono upay chilo na kintu ekhn ache. Bamun ke biye korle or ja pap chilo shob uthe jabe."
(Yes I did say that but only because there was no other way! But now there is a way for you to be free from the disgrace of God! Marrying a Brahmin washes away all her sins and in the process free all of you from sin!)

"Punnya pabe!" Thakur added. But
(You will be able to attend god's grace!)

My palpitation is getting worse and I am losing focus.

No, my mother's memoirs...my dear Janardan...I- I need to...

I could feel myself losing consciousness, but I couldn't do anything. It's as if I lost control over my body.

My feets gave up and I was about to fall when a strong hand wrapped around me...

And the last thing I could see through my almost closed eyes, was a man. The man from the river bank...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks for reading! I hope you enjoyed reading this chapter, if you did I hope you could leave a vote and comment on my story!

You can also follow me on instagram at @author.jade

See you in the next chapter! Bye!