MRIGANAYANI

What in the world? Who is that?

I say to myself as I scrunch my eyes to figure out if I was even seeing right in the darkness.

Wait-is that Kotta? Why is he here? Didn't they say I could stay here? Hold on this doesn't look like the room I was in before. No-no-no-no don't tell me I barged into Kotta's room by mistake! He's going to punish all of us. I know rich people don't like it when you disturb them.

A rush of questions rambled in my mind as I tried to think what I should say...or should I just run? No, that might anger Kotta even more!

Kotta suddenly shot up from his bed. Instinctively I opened my mouth to make an excuse but only a faint indescribable sound left my mouth as I stiffened under his threatening stare.

What an unusual man. Just moments ago he was all smiles and overflowing with kindness when he was talking to my father so then what happened now?

Should I leave? Yes probably! I should just run out and act as if nothing happened. He will probably think it was a dream and go back to sleep.

I thought to myself and slowly made a step backwards.

Then another.

Then another.

The third step brought me near and I swiftly turned and opened the door ready to make the run for my brother's room.

"Darao!" A loud blaring shout froze me on the spot.
(Wait!)

I got down from the bed and turned the oil lamp up to increase the intensity of the fire as it slowly lit up the room

"Tomar ki kichu lagbe?"

(Do you need anything?)

My question makes her flinch a little. I tried to talk gently to her but unfortunately for me I had taken after my father's blaring harsh voice. The child might be frightened.

In the past few interactions I tried my best to sound as soft and gentle as I can unlike just now where I forgot to correct myself.

"Agge na." She says in a soft voice and slowly opens the door to go out.
(No Master)