•33• Chasing Pavements

A few years earlier

Christine's P.O.V

"Who was that?" Romina asks me as I shove the phone in my pocket. "Moira, just her calling" I lie to my best friend's face. It's not like I can so 'oh it's your ex calling me asking mr weird shit'

Only Joey was more than an ex. Romina smiled, handing me the binder of fabrics. "She's a sweetheart." Her voice fades off and I can tell she wants to ask me more. Please don't be about "How did things go with Jade? Uhm and Joseph?" I close the binder and hand it back. "Things went well. He's very excited for you."

I stand up, causing her to do so as well. "That's great, how did he look? He looked healthy."

"Yes that little shit is in perfect shape. Although he might need to push two of the epi after you change your last name."

"Not funny" Romina gives me a fake laugh before going to the table of flowers. "Why did you choose Begonia and Lavender again?"

"I didn't!" She sighs and slams the flowers back on the table. "That stupid old woman wouldn't give me the flowers I asked for. She said they would wither before I had a chance to walk down the aisle."

"What flowers did you want originally?" She looks at me with those big brown eyes and softly shakes her head. "Forget about it! They're just flowers and she's just a miserable old bitch."

I place my hands on her face and kiss her cheek. "Everything's going to be fine. You'll see." I tell her only it's me I'm trying to convince.

We spent the rest of the night assorting flowers and finishing off the guest list.

It didn't take longer than three hours. We soon parted ways and she went home while I went to my loft. Like clockwork, Jade called me around the time I pulled into the garage.

"I was thinking about what to cook for dinner?"

Jade and I had an interesting relationship. The two of us could talk for hours, only it would never go further than that. Jade loved me like I suspect Joseph loved Romina. Love for me hurt so I simply decided to not feel it.

Sure we've kissed before. Or a lot but that all it was kissing.

"How's Joseph doing? He called me either asking some weird shit?"

"Joseph left not long after you did, I thought you knew?" My heart beat increases and I've got a sudden adrenaline rush. Joseph is here, in our city. He was going to fix this mess.

"Oh– I didn't know. Will he be coming to the wedding?" I ask with relief "I don't know.. Am I coming to the wedding?" She questions me and my sudden adrenaline has disappeared. If I were a lighter complexion I'm sure I could see the color actually draining from my face.

"I mean if you wanted to go. For Romina."

"Yeah for Mina, hey look it's getting late and I don't need Joey calling me about his phone bill."

"Right goodnight" I say quickly and hand up the phone. Letting out a sigh of air.

I remained seated in my car before cutting it off. It was a building so I didn't need to worry about dropping dead from carbon monoxide.

I pick up my phone and re-dial joseph.

"What?" He whispers into the phone. "Why are you whispering?"

"Why are you calling me?"

"Joseph, it's been two weeks since I saw you in Italy. Where the fuck have you been staying this whole time?"