Chapter 2

The lights dimmed fully and a spotlight shone onto the ringmaster,who now stood center stage.Her voice rang out majestically through the crowd,her dark curls swaying.

"WELCOME ONE AND ALL TO THE MIDNIGHT ARCANUM!!!"

Cheers erupted in the crowd as the ringmaster tapped the bottom of her cane on the floor.She clapped her hands twice and stepped to the side.The clown girl from earlier somersaulted into the ring.The crowd applauded as the circus performers came out from behind the curtain.The two boys from earlier.A girl with peach blonde hair tied into a braided bun and a woman with copper coloured curls in a half up half down style.The ringmaster pointed her cane to the top of the tent,the two boys sat on trapezes high above in berry coloured leotards.

"LET ME INTRODUCE YOU TO OUR ACROBATS!!"
She pointed her cane to the boy that peaked out of the curtain.
"FELIX!"
She pointed to Felix's brother.
"AND HIS BROTHER MILO!"
The crowd cheered for the two boys as they waved down at the crowd.The clown girl stepped forward and was introduced as Bubbles,the ruffles on her blue long sleeved romper swaying in the light.

The contortionist arruved and got herself into an almost impossible position on a small podium,making Avery gasp in shock.Her name was Mona.She twisted and folded herself like a snake,wearing an elegant royal blue unitard with a slight frill around the waist,decorated with sequins and intricate swirling patterns across it.She was so beautiful.Avery took note of her outfit.Mona was stunning.

The final member of the circus was the Fortune Teller,going by the name of Ophelia.She was in an elegant white dressed detailed with constellations and different symbols.She carried a crystal ball and a pack of cards.The members of the circus got into their positions for the show to start.The brothers up ahead on trapeze.Mona on her platform to the left.Bubbles on her platform to the right.Ophelia on a raised platform in the center of the ring towards the back and the ringmaster in the front and center.She tipped her hat,her grey eyes shining.Avery clenched her hands tightly as the show began.

Avery watched as the two boys,Felix and Milo,performed amazing tricks on trapeze.Flipping,swinging and jumping all while Bubbles performed juggling tricks,juggling walking around the ring and even somersaulting and dancing.Mona did her tricks too,all sorts of things a normal person wouldn't be able to do.It was as if she was made of rubber.Ophelia went round doing her fortune telling and after the show,the members bowed.Although,Avery was curious.

She wanted to know something.

Something important.

What the circus was hiding and whether those rumors were true...