eight.

Renee pushed her hair away from her face as she stared deeply at her notebook in front of her. She had an exam coming up and she made sure that she got everything written down in her notes. Her grades were slacking a bit, but if she aced the exam she'd be back to where she'd been before she started slacking.

She was so busy writing songs and poems that she would always get sidetracked when it came to her homework and assignments. Music was truly a passion for her. But, she often wasn't confident in her work. Not many people were able to see much of her work except for the people close to her. It was evident that most of the people that knew of her passion thought that it should've just stayed as a passion and not as something to be pursued. Her parents wanted her to stay in school. Luca wanted her to not write music at all.

Renee knew that she wasn't terrible. It would never be terrible as long as she poured her all into it. But, Luca just didn't think that it was something she should pursue. He didn't want her music being played in his father's club.

Growing up, music was always a form of expression for Renee. It was around her for her entire life. Her mother would play music as she cleaned the house on the weekends and when she cooked dinner. Her parents were big fans of Jazz and Reggae music, which influenced Renee. It broadened her palette.

Once she was done with her notes, she placed them inside her bag and began to put the rest of her belongings away.

"I was looking for you everywhere."

"I've been here. I have an exam coming up and I don't have a choice but to pass." She sighed with frustration.

"I have a Lit exam, too." Lauren rolled her eyes. "I need a drink."

"Drink? You're not even twenty-one yet."

"I will be soon," Lauren shrugged and walked alongside Renee.

They walked off of the campus and made their way down the street towards the coffee shop that all of the students went to in their free time.

"So.." Lauren smirked. "Are you ready for tonight?"

Renee smiled nervously, "A little bit. I still don't know what song to sing."

"Your own," Lauren said in a duh tone.

The girls walked into the shop and stood in the long line amongst the other students.

"That's the thing," Renee sighed heavily. "I don't think that my songs are good enough to play."

"Do you think they're good enough?"

"Y-yeah, I guess," She shrugged.

"Then sing it. Who cares what your man and his racist ass family thinks?"

Renee chuckled, "He's not terrible, Lauren."

"He sure ain't good either." She scoffed. "What kind of man knows that his family is racist and is with someone that's the same race they're racist to, and doesn't say anything about it?"

Renee and Luca had been together for a while now and it was evident that his family wanted him to be with someone that was of their race and culture. They made it very clear about what they wanted, but Luca didn't care. He loved Renee. He wanted her from the day that he first saw her. But, he didn't love her enough to voice his opinion on the way his family and friends acted towards him being with someone that wasn't the same race.

Renee's parents liked Luca as a person, but they didn't like his background, or the fact that he was white. But they were aware that their daughter was in love and there wasn't much that they could do about it. They couldn't stop her from seeing him or else she'd find other ways to see him. They'd rather her be upfront and honest than sneaky.