nine.

Anthony rested his arm outside of the car as he drove along the streets of Harlem. The weather was getting warmer outside, meaning everyone was going to be out and about. It also meant that there was going to be more crimes on the streets. The streets were always hot during the summer time. It seemed like the heat triggered everyone's brains to be impulsive and reactive. Anthony was in the streets, because that's where the money was, but he was smart. He knew that he was feared in a lot of places he went to. Where there was fear there was also jealousy and ill intent. He was aware that he couldn't be anywhere for too long.

"Look over there," Slick called out.

Anthony looked to his right and pressed his foot against the brake. He shook hsi head at the sight of the body that laid on the concrete with a white sheet over it. The streets were yellow taped. People stood outside of the tape, crying profusely in pain and agony.

There were times where no one knew if the crimes were due to police brutality or if it was gang affiliated.

"You think someone got caught up?"

"No," Anthony shook his head. "I think it's the same people investigating the shit."

Slick shook his head and continued to look out of the window.

"Where are we 'bout to go?"

"I gotta stop by Honey and see Diane."

Slick scoffed, "Ant, you know your dad doesn't want us around there."

Anthony was a family man and he felt himself go crazy every now and then when he couldn't be in contact with his family. Especially his sister. He knew that it was for the best, but he also knew that he was missing out on a lot of things going on with his sister. She was now going to college the next fall, and would step into the real world. He hated the fact that he couldn't be there.

"I know. I like to make sure that they're alright."

Slick raised his eyebrows apprehensively, but leaned back into his seat. Nonetheless, he trusted his close friend and knew that no matter how many years went by, he was still hurting.

Slowly, Anthony parked not too far from Honey. He eased down the window and looked inside the restaurant. His eyes caught Diane as she walked towards a table with drinks in her hand. She placed them onto the table and began to write in her notebook.

"You wanna go in there and get her for me?" Anthony looked over at Slick.

"Alright."

Without hesitation, Slick got out of the car and made his way across the street. He entered the store and walked towards Diane. Diane snapped her head over to him and urged Slick away from the table. A few minutes went by when they finally opened the restaurant door and walked out. Diane smiled up at a tall Slick as they walked across the street.

Suddenly, her eyes locked with her brother and a hesitant smile lifted on her face.

"What are you doing here?"

"You asked me when I was going to see you again. I'm here." He lifted his arms with a playful smirk.

Diane playfully rolled her eyes. "Mama's gonna be here soon for her closing shift. She's counting the tills tonight."

"I'm not coming inside. I just wanted to see you," He squinted his eyes from the sun. "How are you?"

"I-I'm good. Almost done the eleventh grade. I miss you, Ant. How are y'all doing?"

"We're just here chillin'." He shrugged. "I thought about you and decided to see you."

Diane looked at her brother with sadness. Her eyes began to welt with tears.