SEVENTH CHAPTER

When Mom, Jack, and I got home, I felt a mixture of excitement and nervousness. Excitement because of Jack's presence in my house, but also nervousness because of my mother's seriousness. Jack looked wary, but his smile and friendly demeanor showed he was grateful to be out of the lab.

Although he was already with us, I decided to show him everything again.

"Jack, welcome to our house. This is the living room, where we usually all relax and watch TV. The kitchen is over there, and here is the corridor leading to the rooms. Yours will be the first one on the right."

Jack nodded, looking around with the glee of a kid in a candy store.

"Thank you, Bell," he said, and his smile was warm.

"I like it here. It's much... more comfortable than in the laboratory."

I smiled, feeling that his presence pleased me.

"Yes, you can relax here. If you need anything, just ask. And move freely as you wish. Here you are a guest, but also a friend."

I tried to be professional as I led him through the house, but it was hard to ignore his presence. He was charming, with a smile that was contagious.

I flirted with him a bit, although I didn't intend to go too far. Sometimes I would laugh a little more than usual, and sometimes I would give him a look that had a little too much meaning.

But mom was careful. When I showed him where he would sleep, Jack laughed at some of my comments, and I felt my cheeks turn slightly red. Mom looked at us reproachfully, and her tone was sharp when she addressed me.

"Bella, please behave appropriately. Jack is here for special circumstances, and you mustn't cross the line. Remember that he is over 100 years old, even though he looks young. If you continue with this behavior, he won't be able to stay with us."

I felt a little embarrassed by her words, but I also felt embarrassed that she had so blatantly suggested something that wasn't intended.

I didn't even think about the age difference. Jack looked young, but Mom was right—he was older than anyone I knew.

"I'll try, mom," I said quietly, feeling her words hit me.

This wasn't my plan, but sometimes it's hard to control your feelings when you're close to someone you're attracted to.

Jack noticed the tension between me and mom and quickly stepped in to defuse the situation. "Miss. Thompson," he said with a smile,

"Bella was a great help. I am grateful that you let me stay here. We will not cause problems."

This helped defuse the situation, but it was clear that Mom would not tolerate any inappropriate behavior.

I had to be careful, knowing that Jack's presence in our house was fragile and that he could be sent back to the lab if something went wrong.

                                                                                ***

When we were supposed to have dinner, I decided to dress up. myself to feel special, although I was aware that my mother might have an opinion about my choice of clothes.

I chose a dress that had a slightly deeper neckline than usual and was shorter than I would normally wear. I felt beautiful and a little brave, but it was just for fun.

When I walked into the dining room, Jack smiled when he saw me.

"Wow," he said with a smile, "you look beautiful. Is it modern fashion?"