EIGHTH CHAPTER

The next morning, as I was getting ready for school, I felt a strange tension in the air. My mom was on the phone, talking at a fast pace, while I was trying to find all the things I needed for school. Last night I rushed to Jack's as soon as mom fell asleep, so I didn't have time to pack the books.

When I looked out the window, I saw several cars parked in front of the house. dr. Green and his team got out of the vehicle, carrying equipment and documents, as if they were coming to do important work.

Mother looked at me, her expression was serious.

"Bella, Dr. Green and his colleagues have come to do some testing with Jack. Just routine checks. Don't interfere, okay? And go to school in ten minutes."

Her voice was sharp, as if she was warning me in advance. But I could not contain my curiosity.

"What are they going to do with him?" I asked, but the answer did not come from my mother, but from Dr. Green, who had just entered the house.

"It's none of your business, Bella," said Dr. Green, looking at me with slight irritation. I bet he doesn't like me anymore.

"We need to run a few tests to better understand Jack's situation. These are important investigations and need a professional approach."

His tone was cold, as if telling me to back off.

But I didn't want to give up just like that.

"That's my friend. I think I have a right to know what you plan to do with him."

dr. Green gave me a sharp look, and the other scientists behind him looked like they didn't have time for this.

"Bella, your mother told you not to interfere." You have your school and your responsibilities. We'll leave Jack safe, but that's not something you need to deal with."

My mom came up to me, and her voice was firm.

"Bella, they're here to do their job. Please don't complicate things. You have school, pack up and go. Jack will be in good hands."

I felt frustrated, but I didn't want to cause an even bigger conflict. Scientists were already in the house, setting up equipment and preparing for their investigations. It was clear they didn't want me around while they were doing their "research."

Taking the bag, I turned and left the house, but the feeling of injustice came over me. Jack wasn't just an "experiment," he was a person. And I don't know how it is not clear to them.

Even my mom doesn't understand. I at least expect humanity from her, if not from Green.

And now, as I was getting ready for school, I knew I was leaving him with people who might have treated him only as an object of study. He had to be sure, even though their research was important. But I knew I would protect him in any way I could.

***

When I arrived at school, my whole body was tense. My thoughts were with Jack and those scientists who came to our house. I was afraid of what they might do, what tests they might perform.

And I was here, at school, powerless to protect him at the moment.

As soon as I entered the school building, I felt that something was wrong. Gazes followed my every step, and the whispers seemed louder than usual. It was like being in the middle of some invisible storm. The moment I saw Brittany walking up to me, I knew it was going to be a rough day.

"Hey, Bella," Brittany said with a smile that was anything but friendly.

"You look a little... flustered. Are you OK? I heard you have an interesting guest at home. Some weird experiment or something?"