TWELWETH CHAPTER

On Friday at dinner I was so excited about tomorrow that even my mom noticed that I was happy. On the other hand, Jack was still sulking about my date tomorrow.

Then Dr. Green appeared in the kitchen.

"Good evening," he said, winking at us as he approached the table. I can't believe that this man doesn't even ring the bell before entering someone else's house..

"How are you all tonight?"

"Dr. Green, what brings you here? We weren't expecting you."

"Oh, I just stopped by to pass on some important information," said Dr. Green, taking a chair and sitting with us.

"Jack, we'll need your presence in the lab tomorrow. We have to do a few tests and examinations, you know, to make sure everything is okay."

Jack looked surprised and upset.

"Whole day? I didn't plan on being in the lab all day. I have some plans."

dr. Green shrugged, but the smile remained on his face.

"I'm afraid it's inevitable,. Scientific research can't wait, Jack. It would help a lot if he was with us all day. It's important for our studies, you know.

And for you and your condition..."

I could feel Jack getting tense. He couldn't believe that Dr. Green could interrupt his plans, especially since that day was supposed to be my date with Luke.

"Bella, can you come out for a second?" he asked me. I sighed loudly but went out anyway.

"Listen, maybe I shouldn't go to the lab all day. Maybe we could do something together instead of you going with Luke. What do you say?"

I looked at him, feeling my cheeks heat up.

"No, Jack. I made a date with Luke and I don't want to cancel it. Besides, you can't just change plans because of a scientist. This is not right. This is important, you heard what Dr. Boring says."

"Bella I still don't think it's a good idea for you to go with him." Maybe not good for you. I think we should think about it."

But I didn't want to listen. I was angry because he was trying to change my plans and control my decisions.

"Jack, you don't get to say who I can and can't date. It's my choice, not yours."

"I just think you should be careful," he said, but I didn't want to listen.

I don't care what he has to say. I'm going to go with Luke tomorrow, and Jack will have to understand that it's my choice and he has to respect it.

***

The next morning, I woke up with some excitement in my stomach. It was the day I was supposed to go out with Luke, and I decided to dress up like never before. I grew up knowing how to dress for special occasions, but this time I made a special effort.

I chose a nice summer dress, did my hair and put on my make-up so that I feel my best. I looked in the mirror and smiled. Yes, I looked good.

While I was waiting for Luke in front of the house, I felt a little nervous, but also excited. The feeling of anticipation was new and a little scary, but I couldn't wait to see how it all unfolded.

But instead of Luke's car, Dr. Green appeared in front of my house with Jack in the passenger seat.

Jack got out of the car and hurried towards me. He looked worried and upset, and there was an expression in his eyes that I didn't often see.