Unsettling Ending.

I followed behind Adeline as we left behind the building. I didn't feel to good, but I tried letting go of the feeling. I slowly started to hear Adeline speak, like words obviously. But... It sounded so muffled.
"AJ? Are you okay? I'm sorry about what I said to Bianca, I know how much you like her..."
I looked Adeline and chuckled softly. She still thought I liked her?
"It's okay, I don't really like her anymore. Not after... That incident."
I looked over at Adeline who's looking down at the floor. After I turned away from her, I heard something from her. Like, she was mumbling.
"That's understandable... I wouldn't like her either."
I chuckled at her response. I don't know why or how, but I found it funny in my opinion. I knew she might have just been saying that to make me feel better, and it did. I love Adeline.

"Hey... AJ, do you want to still go to the festival and perform?.. Just the two of us?"
I looked at Adeline, who's face was a bright red. I laughed at her again.
"Of course. Did you want to write our own song from scratch?"

The festival was in a couple days. I was hoping she wouldn't cancel on me last minute. She never did. We practiced day after day afterschool. God I enjoyed playing with her. Maybe I did love her. But I didn't want to fiddle with love until I was for SURE ready. But... Just maybe...
Adeline could be the one.

At the Festival

Me and Adeline were up. My god, I didn't think I'd get this far. It was amazing. Especially with the girl who's been through it all with me.
"This one goes out to the woman I love, the one who's stayed with me through everything."
I smiled at Adeline as we played it off. She doesn't know I love her.

🎵

After we left off stage, Adeline was smiling at me, more than usual. I was a bit puzzled.
"Adeline, you've been smiling a lot more lately, what's up?"
She giggled.
"Nothing!"
She grabbed my hand softly as we walked around together. I felt a bit sweaty, nervous at most. I was anxious because I have never held hands with a woman. Maybe... She likes me back? I don't know...

After dark, we were planning on going home. We stopped by a nearby convenience store. I told Adeline to come inside with me but she had rejected my offer. It's alright, at least, I thought so. I bought a couple things, and secretly bought a gun. I had a gut feeling I needed it. And oh, how I thanked my gut feeling. I left the store and looked around for Adeline, but she was nowhere to be found.

I walked a block down and saw her getting cornered by middle aged men. I couldn't just stand there. I had to do something, say something! But I was silent. I was shaking, but I knew something needed to be said, loud and clear.
"HEY. GET THE HELL OFF HER."
I yelled out at the men as I held my pistol in my hand. I don't know why the cashier let me have it, maybe because he was a teenager too. I saw the men turn their attention towards me.
"What did you say, pipsqueak?"
One of them said, he had a beer belly, with a messy shave, brunette with green eyes, not the pretty green though. He was ugly honestly.
"I... I said... Get away from her! O-Or..."
I panted heavily as I was shaking, holding my pointer finger on the trigger.
"Or what? Are you gonna cry about it?"
Another one said, he was a dirty blonde, balding on the top with a beard and mustache. Do these men not shave or something? Because my goodness... They were hairy.
"Or... Or I'll— I'll shoot you!"
I said hesitantly, shaking while spewing out random words.
"Oh yeah? Shoot me then."
The brunette said.
I aimed the pistol at him and pulled the trigger, shooting his knee.
I heard a loud and aggressive scream from the man as I saw him fall to the floor, clutching his knee and rolling in pain. The other guy was staring me down with fear and anger. I reloaded the gun and aimed at the other guy. I was about to shoot but I heard his petty plea.
"WAIT. DON'T SHOOT PLEASE."
I rolled my eyes. I for once didn't feel bad. There was a spark in me that just changed. I don't know what it was, but I didn't feel so childish and scared.
"I don't wanna hear your petty pleas. Your scream will be the last thing I should hear from that ugly fucking dirty blonde hair, you fucking SKANK."
I pulled the trigger and shot him straight in the forehead. I don't know why I said it, but it felt... relieving. I looked at the old brunette man, he was still bawling in pain. I walked over to him and towered over him.
"P-PLEASE MA'AM. DON'T KILL ME. I BEG."
I stared down at him, feeling lifeless. Which was the next thing he was going to be.
"Shut up."
I reloaded my gun and grabbed him by the hem of his white greasy stained tank top and put the pistol in his mouth. I pulled the trigger as I felt blood splatter all over my face. I dropped him and the gun. I wiped the blood off my eyes and looked back at Adeline.
"A...AJ?.."
I saw tears flowing down Adeline's face. I don't blame her. I'd be scared too. I know she doesn't wanna touch me. But I want to take her home as I intended.
I held my hand out for her to grab.
"Please, don't be afraid."
I saw Adeline smile. That beautiful smile.
"Despite all of this... It's still you AJ.."
I smiled with her as she put her hand in mine and we walked away down the road.

"I love you Adeline."

"I love you too AJ."

.