4 - Starting To Change

After a few weeks, I was sure of it.

I was reborn in 1076 AD, or "after descent". Referring to when the five gods, the strongest of the astrals, first descended onto the continent of Astanatus.

Ten years before my death.

Every day I started training with the soldiers under General Akar. I continued to find more books to read, slowly working my way through every single one in that library, along with teaching Eman how to read.

And just like that, three years passed.

1079 AD. 13 years old.

This year will be an important one.

"Good work today." General Akar loudly clapped his hands.

I dropped the sandbag I was lifting, wiping the sweat from my brow. I sat atop it, before suddenly feeling someone ruffle my hair.

"You're finally putting on some muscle, brat." Akar smirked.

"Don't touch me." I smacked his hand away. "And isn't it about time you quit it with your disrespect?"

"He's never gonna quit it, just so you know." A soldier laughed. "He'll keep calling you brat even once you've found a spouse!"

"We'll see if he even gets a spouse with that mark on his face." A soldier shook his head. "Bet it'll scare the lot of them away."

"Shame on them!" A different soldier grinned. "They'll regret missing out on our prince!"

"Yeah, General won't ever stop. He's a stubborn old man, that's for sure." Another soldier chuckled, before suddenly getting smacked atop the head.

"Quiet, I'm not that old." He huffed. "I should make you do another lap just for saying that."

"We should have a party." Another soldier chimed in. "The kid has been training with us for a whole three years now. Ain't that a cause for celebration?"

"You just want wine." A different soldier accused.

"I wish, only nobles get wine." The soldier shrugged. "We gotta get some beer!"

There were a few cheers in agreement.

"Yeah, the brat ain't having any beer on my watch." Akar shook his head. "Too early for him to experience the drink that brings out the inner demon."

There were a few sighs of disappointment.

Its funny. They despised me when I first started training with them. And now, they basically consider me one of them. In three years, just by training with them every day.

"Our prince", huh?

It does seem that my methods are working.

In three years I've managed to get a loyal personal servant and the support of the soldiers. Not to mention my physical strength and stamina has improved greatly.

My skills with Yatager's main sword, the khopesh, and the shield, has improved much from my previous self-taught, shoddy swordsmanship of my past life.

I have even gained a third tail in these three years. Not much progress has been made other than that, however. I can still only produce misshapen chunks of ice. Just larger ones now.

Overall, this is nothing short of a great success.

"Besides, the brat needs to prepare right now." Akar continued. "In a few days the Princess of Tiānshān will be arriving."

"Oh, that's right!" The first soldier snapped his fingers.

"Huh?" I questioned, looking up at Akar.

"You haven't heard?" Aker raised an eyebrow as he stared at my face.