Chapter 14

Amanda could have saved her mental time and effort. As it turned out, no scheming or persuading was needed on her part. Before she could really get going on all her planned tactics to win her brother over to her side, he informed her that the Sanctuary was looking for someone to straighten out the rat's nest mess that was their aging computer and networking systems. He read the ad, then reminded his sister that this was one of his specialties.

"And you want me to talk them into it," Amanda grinned. "God, you really are such a nerd, hiding behind your little sister. I can't do this for all your future jobs you know ... Unless we start talking about some serious compensation here."

Then, she laughed, the first time she laughed in days, and She hugged him tight, giving him sisterly kisses on both cheeks. "But I love you, anyway, Lew. I may not be much help, though. Mr. Landon—" She broke off and shrugged. "Well, we don't get along as well as we used to do."

I think he's getting afraid of me, Amanda thought, but kept it to herself.

So, first thing the very next morning, Amanda and her brother paid a visit to the San Bruno shelter, where the girl proudly presented her computer nerd brother to Mr. Landon, then she left them alone. While the interview was going on, this gave Amanda another excuse to visit Buck and all the other apes.

"He should be more alert today," Rodney commented as he came up behind the girl as she was standing by Buck's cage, holding the gorilla's hand.

"Run out of sleepy juice, did you?" Amanda said a bit acidly.

"I don't like it either," Rodney muttered mournfully.

"So why don't you do something about it?" Amanda challenged him, but she spoke far more gently. This was not Dodge, and she liked Rodney.

"Like what?"

"Like ... Report Dodge Landon to the SPCA."

"Oh Sure," Rodney said wearily. "Then they send someone, and Dodge is on his best behavior for a few days, and they have no proof. It's my word against theirs," Rodney muttered.

Amanda wanted to make another stinging comment, but kept her mouth shut. The man's fear, of Dodge or of Mr. Landon, maybe both, was strong, stronger than she could overcome with just her words.

"Maybe you should call and complain," Rodney suggested. "You already got them to stop sedating Buck, you and that Evans lady."

"We did?" Amanda blinked. This was all news to her.

"Well, I figured you called Miss Evans and told her what was going on, right? Then, she turned around and called some people higher up that she knows, and the court order to halt the sedation came down first thing this morning. It's all about connections, Amanda."

"I sent her a text message, yeah." She was glad for Buck, but ... What rotten timing! There goes Lewis's hope of a job and our easy way in if Landon thinks I had anything to do with that, Amanda thought.

But she was wrong. John Landon hired Lewis King almost on the spot, which gave Amanda even more time at the Sanctuary that day. She had time to get acquainted with one of the newer residents, Cornelia, a beautiful sweet and indominable little female chimpanzee, and she spent much time talking with and even grooming the orangutan, Maurice, who was more communicative with her than ever before, for some reason.

"Hold on, sweet Maurice," Amanda said soothingly. "You've got a nasty tangle here. I might have to snip this one out."

Maurice stayed perfectly still but made an unhappy sound, and Amanda patted his arm. "I'll try, big fella," she promised, but after several minutes, she gave up picking at it and snipped out the tangle.

Many of the other apes noticed that Maurice and even Buck were getting special treatment, and they wanted to be groomed as well, starting with Rocket, though there was not much grooming needed for him.

And that was how Amanda spent most of her day, but she did not mind. It almost took her mind off worrying about Charles and Caesar, but it did not do anything to quell the deep-down dread and heaviness that was growing inside her.