1

It's a Monday morning before my first day at a new school. I wake up to the sound of rain thudding against my bedroom window.
I take a moment to enjoy the smell of rain before picking up my phone.

05:58AM

I stay in bed for a while, really taking in the smell of rain. I love the smell of rain. It's kind of earthy and gives off some kind of nostalgia.
I decide to get out of bed. It's only half an hour until my alarm goes off, anyway.

I take off my blanket and the cold air wraps around me like a snake, sending shivers down my spine. I cross my arms in attempt to warm me up a bit while looking for something quick to throw on to keep me from freezing. I notice a Los Angeles Dodgers hoodie under my desk and bend down to pick it up. As I'm about to stand up again I hit the back of my head.

"Ouch!" I say loudly, rubbing my head

I slide the hoodie over my head and look around my room for some pants or something. I don't see any, so I decide just to just stick with my pajama bottoms for now.

It's still dark outside, and there's no lights on in the hallway so I turn on the flashlight on my phone to prevent me from tumbling down the stairs. I chuckle as I remember how I almost tripped last time..
As I walk into the living room I see a couple of glowing eyes in the corner of the sofa. I point my flashlight to them and as expected I see Barney snuggled up in a fuzzy blanket. Barney is my cat. I found him at the side of the road about a year ago. He's the sweetest cat I've ever met and I love him with my whole heart.

I walk into the kitchen and grab a plate from one of the cardboard boxes on the floor. Me and my mom didn't quite finish unboxing our stuff last night so we just left most of it for when we had more time and energy.
I open the refrigerator and to my surprise it's completely empty, except for a couple beer cans and a box of red wine. So that's what mom meant when she said shopping, I guess. Whatever, I'll make it without food for a couple of hours.

I walk to the sofa to give Barney a quick cuddle before returning to my bedroom again, shutting the door behind me slowly, careful not to wake my mom.
I've always found the sound of rain calming and comforting, so falling back asleep shouldn't be an issue at all. I crawl back to into bed and pull my blanket up to my nose. It doesn't take long for me to fall back asleep. I start to feel my eyelids getting heavier and heavier by the second, and eventually, I'm back asleep again.
———————
500 words