Chapter 7: bikes and boys

In hindsight; maybe teaching six kids to ride big kid bikes at the same time wasn't a good idea, at least not when two of said kids were still using training wheels. Seonghwa had agreed to try though, since Hongjoong was on vacation from work and could help keep an eye on the kids.

Yeosang and Mingi had opted out; deciding to color on the sidewalk with chalk instead, Yunho and San were already getting the hang of using larger bikes, wooyoung too, admit it he was a bit wobbly. Jongho however refused to do it; his anxiety starting to settle in, "appa, it's not safe." Jongho was adamant. "Baby bear it'll be okay, you just gotta be careful." Seonghwa smiled softly kneeling beside the small boy, who only shook his head. "Wanna color with Sangie and Minmin instead." And with that he was off, joining his brothers.

The morning passed by slowly; once noon hit it was almost time for lunch, Hongjoong decided to take a few of the kids to pick up lunch rather than cook while seonghwa stayed behind and watched the kids play. Wooyoung had been playing in the sandbox, San and Yunho still riding their bikes, and Jongho sat on the steps with seonghwa reading a picture book.

Everything was fine; until it wasn't, a loud scream caught Seonghwa's attention. Yunho came running around the corner with a panicked face, "Mama! Sannie crashed his bike." Seonghwa immediately jumped up, telling Jongho and Wooyoung to go inside until he got back. Seonghwa ran after Yunho; finding San on his side and clutching his arm to his chest, "mama! My arm really hurts." San was trying his best to remain calm while seonghwa examined his arm, it didn't seem broken right off the bat but he wasn't gonna take any chances. "Let's go get it looked at, Yunho can you bring his bike back home and take grab your little brothers? I'll help Sannie to the car."

Yunho nodded picking up the bike and pushing it back home.

Two hospital trips in a month had not been on Hongjoong's bingo card, first Yeosang and now San. He'd gone straight home to pick up the other kids and then to the hospital while Seonghwa had taken san. Allowing 5 children to eat in the car had definitely been a mistake but at this point his priority was to get to his son and check in on Seonghwa; he knew how he got when one of the kids were sick and unwell, he often panicked and shut down.

Arriving at the hospital Hongjoong made sure every child was near by, carrying Yeosang on his hip since the second oldest had fallen asleep in the car and he couldn't be left alone. Wooyoung held onto his pant leg, looking a bit sleepy himself with little bits off food stuck to his face. Yunho carried Jongho on his back while holding Mingi's hand, though Mingi was preoccupied with the butterfly that had landed on his hand in hope to feed off the sticky substance on the child's fingers.

"Appa, is Sannie okay?" Wooyoung looked up at his father with worried eyes, San was like his twin flame. Even if Mingi and San were the real twins; Wooyoung and San had a very unique bond as siblings. "Yes, Sannie will be okay little bug, don't worry too much okay?" The child nodded, looking around as they entered the hospital. Seonghwa was waiting for them with a very annoyed looking San, his arm in a temporary sling and a bag of ice sitting on top. "Seonghwa! How is it?" Hongjoong kissed his husbands cheek, trying not to squish Yeosang between them too much. "It's definitely broken, waiting to get a proper cast on it , they've got another kid getting one right now so our black cat is waiting his turn very impatiently. Here I'll take him." Seonghwa reached out taking Yeosang from Hongjoong's arms, sitting down so he could properly hold the almost nine year old. "Mama a butterfly landed on me." Mingi waddled over nestling between his mother's legs. "Oh yeah? That's amazing Mangi!" Mingi giggled at the nickname before turning to his twin. "Sannie does it hurt?" San used his free hand to ruffle Mingi's pink hair, he'd begged to dye his after Yunho had come home from the hair salon with red highlights. "No Mangi, it's all better. they gave me medicine to make the owie go away." Mingi smiled at that, happy his brother wasn't in pain anymore. Yunho had taken Jongho to play with some of the toys set out for younger children, Wooyoung watching from Hongjoong's lap not really in the mood to play.

Once San's name was called to get his cast on Hongjoong offered to take him since Seonghwa looked exhausted already, and couldn't really move with a nine year old sleeping on his lap. San walked side by side with his father; a bit of excitement flowing through him once he realized he'd get to pick the color of his cast, entering the room the doctor greeted them both. "You must be the father, Mr Park-Kim said you'd be coming in. And you must be little Sannie. For your cast we can do up to two colors, so what are you thinking kiddo?" San looked at the colors the doctor had lined up, before making up his mind. "Red and black please!" Hongjoong couldn't help but smiled despite being seven years old San was handling this very well. "You got it kid. What do you think dad is that okay?" , "anything he wants is fine with me doc." The doctor nodded, beginning to start the application process. As the application went on the doctor made small talk, giving Hongjoong an opportunity to make an appointment for Jongho to get a checkup since it was needed for preschool. "And done! How's that feel San?" The doctor asked once he was finished. San looked in the mirror, moving his arm a bit. "That's so cool! Thank you! Can I take some lollipops for my brothers?" Hongjoong was about to scold his son before the doctor nodded. "Of course, how many brothers do you have?" , "I have 5! The oldest is 13 and the youngest is 3!" The doctor gathered the lollipops with a chuckle. "OH that's a lot! I do hope they're all as kind as you. Have a good day you two." The pair left the room rejoining the rest of their family. Yeosang had woken up and sat between Seonghwa's legs, his mother tying his long black hair into a ponytail. "How did it go?" He asked without looking up. "Really well. San brought lollipops." , "you're wiping off Jongho then." as expected. Hongjoong gathered his kids with Seonghwa's help as they all headed out, they'd definitely need a wind down evening since it was the weekend.