26: CLOSER

The track trailed off, silence filling up the living room

The track trailed off, silence filling up the living room. The sun had set and the only source of light was the soft glow of the lamps and the tv screen. Seungkwan wasn't paying attention. Instead, he was focused on the boy sitting next to him, who was now looking back at him, a sad smile on his face. He sniffled and wiped away the tears that had fallen from his eyes.

"Are you okay?" Seungkwan asked, concerned.

Vernon nodded, his voice still cracking as he spoke, "Yeah, I'm just happy they had a good ending." He reached for a tissue and blew his nose, the sound causing Seungkwan to laugh.

"God, I hate bitter sad movies. I always cry" Vernon whined, a slight pout on his lips.
Seungkwan smiled and looked at him, his gaze softening.

"I'm glad you cried. It means you have a heart," He teased, his smile growing.

Vernon laughed and shook his head, his gaze still fixed on the screen. "It's stupid," He said, his tone a little shaky. "No, it's not," Seungkwan said quietly. Though he wasn't paying any attention to the movie, he could tell it was a romantic movie. A movie about a couple falling in love and the struggles they faced along the way.

"You didn't cry" Vernon pointed out, a slight smile on his lips.

"That's because I'm not a softie," Seungkwan teased.

"No, you're just a robot" Vernon laughed, shaking his head.

"I am not," Seungkwan said, pretending to be offended.

Vernon laughed like he was the funniest person on earth. "Okay. You're not"

God, he was beautiful. Seungkwan wanted to say the words out loud. But instead, he kept his thoughts to himself and smiled, enjoying the way Vernon's laughter filled the room.

The older boy just smiled as he watched him laugh, Seungkwan just knew he wanted to keep him close.

Seungkwan shifted closer, closing the small distance between them. Sitting beside him now.

"Why are you staring at me like that?" Vernon asked, his tone playful.

"You're staring at me too," Seungkwan answered, a hint of laughter in his voice.

"You're pretty," Vernon said, his gaze locked on him. His teary eyes were soft, but they were also intense.

"Thank you," Seungkwan whispered, averting his gaze, a blush forming on his cheeks.
Vernon laughed, the sound making his heart flutter. He turned his head, and Seungkwan froze, his mind blanking.

They were close.

Vernon's gaze shifted to his lips, and he could feel his breath against his skin.
He shook.

"Seungkwan," Vernon whispered, his voice low and quiet.

"Y-yes?" Seungkwan stammered, his body tensing.

"It's late. I'll walk you out" Vernon said, his tone calm and gentle.

"Oh," Seungkwan nodded, blinking, his mind still blank.

"Come on" Vernon stood up and reached his hand out.

"O-okay" Seungkwan stuttered, grabbing his hand and letting him lead him out the door.

Seungkwan walked out the door, following Vernon into the hallway. The hall was empty and quiet.

"Seungkwan," Vernon turned to look at him, his eyes locking on his. Seungkwan held his breath, waiting for him to continue.

"You're great." He said, a small smile on his lips. The younger boy's expression softened, his eyes shining with admiration. "You're voice is so beautiful." He continued as they made their way to the elevator.

"Oh.." Seungkwan chuckled shyly, a light blush spreading across his cheeks.

"Don't be shy" Vernon laughed, his eyes crinkling. "I mean it. I love your voice. It's one of my favorite things about you." He smiled.

Seungkwan nodded, his blush deepening.

"You're very talented, good at everything, and very handsome." He added, pressing the elevator button.

"You're not so bad yourself," Seungkwan teased, trying to keep the embarrassment out of his voice.

"Thanks" Vernon laughed and turned to look at him. "But really, I mean it. You're very talented and have an amazing voice. I'm glad I got to hear it. You should sing more often" He said, his voice sincere. He reached out, his hand brushing against Seungkwan's cheek. Seungkwan froze, breath caught in his throat, his heart beating fast.  He fluttered his eyes up at him, the corners of his lips lifting into a smile. "I- I'll think about it," He replied softly, his voice shaking. Vernon smiled, his gaze warm and gentle. He reached his to brush the strand of hair from the latter's eyes.

"Sorry, hair." He smiled, his fingers lingering on Seungkwan's face. He took a step back and Seungkwan's whole body relaxed.

"It's okay," Seungkwan whispered, his gaze never leaving Vernon's. The elevator dinged and the doors slid open. Vernon took a step forward, his body brushing against his. Seungkwan shivered, his heartbeat quickening.

' what the fuck is wrong with me' He cursed in his head.

Vernon was already down the hall way, he stepped back, his hand reaching for the doorknob. He held the door open, motioning for Seungkwan to get outside.nSeungkwan nodded, walking out, the cold breeze hitting his face. He turned to face Vernon, his eyes locking on his. Vernon was smiling.

"Which one is your car?"

"The black one," Seungkwan replied, gesturing to the parking lot.

Vernon nodded, his hands in his pockets. They walked in silence, the sound of their footsteps echoing through the empty street. Seungkwan reached his car, turning to face Vernon. He leaned against the hood, his arms crossed over his chest.

"Thank you for coming," Vernon said, his voice low.

"It's no problem. I had fun." Seungkwan smiled.

"You did?" Vernon asked, his tone hopeful.

"Yes," Seungkwan nodded, biting his lip.

"Good," Vernon smiled, his eyes crinkling. Seungkwan felt his heart skip a beat, his breathing becoming labored.

"It's getting colder, get home safe okay? p"

"I will" Seungkwan smiled. He watched as Vernon turned around and started walking away. He was only a few steps away when he turned around, his eyes locking on his.
"Seungkwan," he called out.

Seungkwan was already in the car, the engine running. He looked up, his eyes locking on his. He opened his mouth, wanting to say something, but the words wouldn't come out.

Vernon smiled, shaking his head.

"Text me when you arrive home," he said, turning around and walking away. Seungkwan nodded, his heartbeat quickening. He watched as Vernon's figure disappeared.

He let out a sigh, resting his head on the steering wheel.

"Fuck."