29: Fun

The place was crowded with students, all uniformed with white and navy blue

The place was crowded with students, all uniformed with white and navy blue. Some were laughing, some were talking, and some were walking. Minghao tried not to stare, but it was difficult when the place was buzzing with life.

Minghao's heart raced as he glanced around the bustling high school gate, the memories flooding back in waves. The vibrant energy of the students, the familiar sound of the bell ringing—it all felt like a lifetime ago.

The repeated ringing of a bell made him jolt. It was followed by a loud announcement over the speaker, "Welcome, Cheng. High School, to your first day of the new year. We hope you enjoy the festivities and have a wonderful time!"

The students cheered. Minghao stood frozen.

"Why are we here?" Minghao's voice trembled with apprehension, his eyes darting nervously around the crowded hallway.

"Don't worry," said Jun, his smile wide. "We won't stay long."

Minghao's frown deepened, his arms instinctively crossing over his chest in a defensive stance. "Why are we here?..."

Jun's smile remained unwavering, his casual tone belying the gravity of their situation. "Because I just missed school," he replied nonchalantly, as if their impromptu visit to their old alma mater was nothing out of the ordinary.

Minghao's frown deepened, his arms crossing over his chest as if to shield himself from the ghosts of his past. "Jun..."

The older boy chuckled. "Don't look at me like that, Hao. You're hurting my feelings"

"Jun, this is dangerous," he insisted, his voice barely above a whisper. "If someone sees us—"

Jun waved off Minghao's concerns with a dismissive chuckle. "Relax, Hao. No one will see us," he reassured, his confidence bordering on arrogance. "And even if they do, lucky them, right? They'll get to see our beautiful faces."

Minghao pursed his lips, his eyes narrowing in disapproval. "You're impossible."

Jun simply laughed, his shoulders shaking with mirth. "And you're too serious. Lighten up, Hao."

With those words, Jun turned on his heel and walked off, leaving Minghao to trail behind him, the tension in his body palpable.

Minghao looked at him as if he had gone crazy, and maybe he had. Jun didn't seem to care. He never did.

That was just who he was.

Minghao watched Jun's retreating figure, his expression a mix of frustration and resignation. It was always like this with Jun—impulsive, reckless, and utterly indifferent to the consequences of his actions.

As the sounds of the bustling hallway faded into the background, Minghao's thoughts drifted back to their high school days, a time he'd tried so hard to forget. But the memories were like stubborn stains, impossible to scrub away completely.