Fashion faux pas

request from Morally_Gray :) set in The Batman (2004) series after the Count Vertigo episode

"My clothes are fine," Dick stated as they walked into the shop. "I've got enough." Although he had taken rather easily to the fact he was now in the position to get a game as soon as it came out instead of rooting through bargain bins for knockoffs, there were still things he wasn't prepared for. Namely how often Bruce insisted on buying new clothes. He was used to wearing things until they became too small (which was a problem he hardly ran into) or when they became riddled with holes. He felt like it was wasteful to just get new clothes whenever he felt like it but he couldn't tell Bruce anything to dissuade him.

"You haven't got any summer clothes," Bruce argued, throwing a glance at the long sleeve he was currently wearing despite it being one of the warmest days of the year so far. The acrobat rolled his eyes at the dramatics.

"I've got a few T-shirts."

"You've slept in them so now they're pyjamas."

"It's semantics," he grumbled.

"You need to look the part of a billionaire's ward. You can pick out whatever you want, we just have to leave with something."

"Whatever I want?" Dick repeated. He knew his sense of style wasn't exactly in fashion right now. Maybe because he'd grown up wearing hand-me-downs from the decades prior and enjoyed wearing every colour he could get his hands on. His current set of clothes was rather dull for his taste, only having a few pieces that weren't black or grey.

"As long as you can wear it to school," the billionaire quickly added. 

"I can work with that."

"Just make sure it's not eye bleeding."

"You can't keep adding rules. It's either school-appropriate or eye bleeding."

"I'm hoping if it's appropriate for school, it won't be eye bleeding," he muttered. "Oh and one more rule."

"Is this clothes shopping or training?" Dick teased.

"I don't want you to look at the price tag."

"Oh God, is this a fancy store?"

"Richard."

"Fine, fine. I won't look at the tags. Even though we could find just as nice clothes at Goodwill," he responded. He understood why he had to wear the more expensive stuff. He was the ward of a billionaire and people expected things from that position. That didn't mean he had to like it though. 

"I know," Bruce said with some sympathy.