thirty-four

I tried to run after him and stop him from going into the kitchen in that state of mind, but I wasn't fast enough. His long legs carried him faster than mine and surprisingly the words were out of his mouth first.

"Good morning Wendy," he said, chirpier than he had ever been.

It was clear to me that he was faking, because I knew what had happened only a few seconds ago, but if I hadn't, I wouldn't have known. Just like Wendy didn't. It didn't change the fact that she seemed surprised to hear him greet her so happily, and so was I.

His strategy wasn't completely clear to me, I didn't get his motive when two seconds ago I swore he was angry with me. The assumption I made was that he would keep his emotionless-mask on and leave as soon as he could, the complete opposite from what was happening right now. Why was he so cheerful with Wendy?

"Good morning," Wendy replied after a few seconds of silence, her face still displaying her confusion.

Her eyes landed on me for a split second, trying to make sense of what was happening. In response, bit my lower lip, both nervous and apologetic. She squinted her eyes then reoriented them towards Harry who was conveniently serving us both a cup of coffee, completely oblivious to Wendy's and I eye conversation.

I watched Harry as he grabbed the sugar and the milk, putting the exact amount I liked before handing the coffee cup to me and kissing me soundly on the cheek. Wendy's eyes widened and my cheeks became burning red while Harry sat next to me, a satisfied look in his eyes, showing that he knew exactly what he was doing.

"Wait a second," Wendy spoke up with her hands raised. "What's happening here?"

"Well," Harry started to talk but was immediately shut up by Wendy.

"No no. You don't get to talk," she silenced him before looking in my direction, straight into my eyes. "I heard you two fighting in the middle of the night last night, I thought you were back to your old habits and that you were just going to have angry sex. But a kiss on the cheek... a sign of affection... that has nothing to do with what you two did before. So what is happening?"

The way she looked at me, the tone in her voice, I could tell that she was angry. Actually, she was disappointed, and that was even worst. In the same logic as Harry, she was starting to think that I didn't tell her because I didn't trust her enough. It was unbelievable how alike these two could be, and yet, they couldn't stand each other.

"Wen, don't take it that way. It's very recent, the only moment I could have told you was two nights ago when you came home discouraged. You had had a bad day and I didn't think it was the right time to tell you, but Harry and I are..."

There was a brief pause, because for a second, I didn't actually know how to label what Harry and I were and I didn't really want to think about it. Even if I knew that there were things far more important to set between us, the fact that we hadn't really clarified what we were bothered me.

Questions kept running in my head since the second I agree to try with him. Did we see eye to eye to what we owed each other? Did he know that I didn't want us to see other people? Did he expect something from me that I didn't know?

Even if he had claimed that he 'felt the same' I couldn't assume he meant that he loved me like I loved him. In the last two years, Harry had showed me that he didn't love, that he didn't open his heart, so I couldn't assume that we were now dating. Simply because dating involved feelings and commitment, both things Harry wasn't so fond of. Or at least, he didn't used to be.

So much had changed in such a short amount of time, I couldn't be sure of anything anymore; everything had become unpredictable. Whatever this was, I was anxious, but also curious to see where it would lead us. Because Harry didn't do love, but he also didn't use to try and surprise me with breakfast in bed. He didn't do love, but he also didn't use to express what he felt. He didn't do love, but he also never texted me first.