⁶ like adults

┌── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──┐"Don't you have a wife to be following around like a lost puppy?"└── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──┘

┌── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──┐
"Don't you have a wife to be following
around like a lost puppy?"
└── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──┘

2019

           WHY WAS MARLOWE sitting in the stands alone watching Patrick Zweig's first match of the challenger? She didn't know.

           She and Patrick were good friends in their teenage years, but their friendship was nowhere near as close as her and Art's. Though, through Art and Marlowe's messy breakup, she did lose Patrick along the way.

           So, when Patrick saw her walk to a seat in the stands while he was warming up, he got more of a push to win this match.

           Not only did Patrick need to win, for the sole reason that he was struggling financially, but he wanted to prove to Marlowe and himself that he could be as good as he used to be.

           Marlowe and Patrick made eye contact for a second as she sat down, and she gave him a light-hearted smile.

           He knew what it meant. Do your best, but don't accept defeat. The two used to say that short phrase to each other before matches, and Patrick felt young again.

           But just as the umpires called the players to their lines, Patrick looked up at the stands one last time.

           Marlowe was looking at the court paying no attention to anything around her. But Patrick was. He could see that Art Donaldson was walking towards her.

           Though, Patrick thought he would try and sit beside her, he didn't. But he did sit in the exact seat one row behind her.

           God, Art always knew how to throw Patrick off his game.

           Marlowe could feel his presence behind her. Yet, she chose to ignore it.

           She hadn't fully looked him in the eye yet, though she saw the back of his head when he went to get a drink and she believed that was enough for her.

           Patrick was winning, by quite a lot. So, Marlowe decided to take her leave. She knew that the match would end with the result of Patrick winning.

           But just as she stood up, she heard the man behind her rise too, and when she went to pick up her handbag from the ground, Art went to pick up the bottle of water he had left on the ground.