Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Hazel;

I'm in a daze. In a trance. Void of any essence. I feel so empty inside like a fucking hole has been ripped off of me.

My baby.

The tears flowed down my cheeks uncontrollably as I lay in bed. It was practically impossible to have a sleep as I kept seeing my baby's beautiful face.

It's been a week since the unfortunate dilemma and as I lay, curled up on my bed in my home, clutching my pillows, I couldn't help but blame myself for her death.

I shouldn't have left her. I shouldn't have toyed with my daughter's life. Would she still be alive if I hadn't left? If I hadn't left with ... with him. I had no more tears left in me as I just stared at the empty air.

I heard the door creak open and light footsteps reached my ears. I felt a dip on the bed beside me and a hand wrapped around me, engulfing me in an embrace.

I let him hold me. I let him, not because I want to feel at ease, but because I don't think I would ever be at peace. Not ever.

I let him because I have no more resistance left in me. Justin had been a huge form of support ever since the devastating news. He held me, comforted me, let me cry. I couldn't count how many times I had pushed him away and lashed at him, but he still held on. He had taken care of the paperwork at the hospital and done all that needed to be done on my behalf.

And then he had brought me home and had never left my side since.

The first two days were the worst. I was almost on the brink of madness. Nothing made sense anymore. I just needed my daughter. I needed to see her face one last time and tell her how sorry I was. Sorry for not prioritizing her well-being. To think I had left her for a marriage. A marriage that could have waited. And now I'm stuck with a contract marriage with HIM, while my daughter, the reason I signed it in the first place..is gone.

"You'll be fine," Justin's voice reached my ears as he patted my hair softly. I took a few deep breaths, blinking my eyes softly. My eyes caught the tray of food beside the bed and my stomach growled.

Justin immediately stood up and brought the tray closer to me, "You should eat something. You have barely tasted anything for a while now."

Aside from the occasional sips of water and soup from the meals that Justin had graciously brought to me, I haven't taken any solid food for almost a week, and I am beginning to feel fatigued.

Sitting up, my eyes scanned the eggs and I weakly took a fork and scooped a mouthful. The taste and richness almost made me cry all over.

A vibration sounded nearby and Justin reached under the pillow and brought my cell phone. I didn't bother because I knew it was him. He hasn't stopped calling ever since that day and I had no intention of picking up his call anytime soon.

"It's a different number," Justin said, "I'll just hang up if you don't want..."

"No," My voice sounded strange as I spoke and I ended up coughing. I grabbed the glass of water and my hands shook so much that it began to pour out.

Justin quickly reached out, taking the water from my hands and placing it to my lips.

Embarrassment and guilt washed over me as I took note of all he had been doing for me. I would've gone to my house but he wouldn't let me and besides, seeing as Jason knows my address now, I wouldn't want to see his face.

The phone began to vibrate again and Justin handed me the phone just as he placed the glass on the tray.

I took a deep breath before answering, "HAZEL ANDERSON!" A loud gruff sounded at the other end. A wave of shock and surprise filled me.

"Dad?" I sat up fully, not expecting my father to be on the line. He had never reached out to me ever since I left the City. Although, I made that possible by cutting off all contact with my family.

"Where the hell are you Hazel? What is this I hear about you being married to the Richmond? Are you out of your fucking mind? Do you want to ruin your family completely? I need you to come home this instant! This instant!!"

My hands were shaking by the time the call ended and I was left staring at my phone in a daze. How did I place myself in this mess? For years I had been contemplating visiting them but knowing who my father was, I didn't want to rouse his anger. How was I to explain that I had gotten pregnant out of wedlock and to a total stranger at that?

But...the Richmonds? How did my father know I am now married to Jason?

"I need to leave," I uttered, standing up in an instant. My heart was beating rapidly in my ribcage as I struggled to place my bearings.

Justin made to help me but I raised a hand, "I'm fine, Justin. Thank you for all that you did. Thank you for..." I shook my head, unable to express my gratitude profoundly.

"It's all good, Hazel. But where are you headed? Who was that on the phone?" he asked with concern etched in his face.

I took in a deep breath, willing myself to calm down. I couldn't break down. If he had called when I still had Ana. I would be a little relieved. And he might forgive me by the time he sees his granddaughter. But I guess it's me against the world now. What more do I have to lose? Moreover, there's nothing left for me here.

"I'm leaving." I simply said. He stared at me for a few moments and said, "Ok."

****

The taxi brought me to a stop in front of my home and I could see that not much has changed since I left.

I took slow steps towards the house, suddenly filled with nostalgia. On reaching the front porch, I raised my hand and knocked on the door.

A few seconds later, I heard light footsteps and I took a deep breath tentatively.

The door opened widely and the face of my mother greeted me. She burst into tears at seeing me.

"Hazel?" Her eyes shone with shock and surprise.

My voice shook, "Mum," I ran to her arms and let her hold me, embracing the familiar feeling of being held by my mum.

"Oh, my daughter. Where have you been?"

I held her right as the tears rolled down my face. Tears of guilt, and regret. Now I wish I had spoken to her before I left. I wish at least she would have seen her granddaughter whenever I returned, to ease the pain in her heart.

"I'm sorry Mum," I hiccupped.

She patted my back gently and disengaged a little, she cupped my chin and looked me over, "You've grown thinner, my dear. You should've come home."

"I'm so sorry Mum,"

"Oh, come inside."

She held me, leading the way into our living room. My steps were heavy as I anticipated my Dad's outburst. But what I wasn't expecting was the unfamiliar faces sitting in the living room whose heads turned in my direction at once.

But one particular face caught my attention.

Jason.

Staring at me with a look I couldn't discern. What the hell is he doing here?

"Is she the one?" A burly man asked in a cold tone pointing towards me.

"Yes. That is she." I heard my father's familiar voice.