Chapter 9

(A/N: I can't believe I'm doing this)

Badgerleg's POV

The trees rustled above my head, casting ominous shadows over the camp. I took a deep breath, but the air felt heavy and suffocating in the eerie silence of Every-Leaf.

It was rare that it wasn't blistering hot, but the warmth now felt oppressive, like a stifling blanket smothering me. Most warriors were in my den, still recovering from the battle. I too had to recover, but the memories of what I had done haunted me.

I couldn't believe I'd done it. I'd actually killed Shortface, Slimefoot's poor mother. The image of her lifeless body flashed before my eyes, sending a cold shiver down my spine.

Not like you had a choice, the sinister voice, Clawtear, whispered in my mind.

I growled deep in my throat, but the sound was swallowed by the unsettling stillness that surrounded me.

That stupid son of Poisonstar.

Say that again.

"Leave me alone!" I hissed, but my own voice sounded feeble and distant, drowned out by the mounting dread that clawed at my insides. A sharp pain lanced through my head.

It won't be for much longer.

"Yeah, but then the damage will have already been done," I whispered, my words barely audible as I looked up at the cloudless sky, feeling as if I was being crushed.

It is simple. Kill the Smalleye and all this will end.

"I-"

"Badgerleg!"

I whipped around and saw Bramblestar glaring at me. 

"Oh, um," I stammered. "Why are you not resting?"

"Why did you not take care of your patients?"

I stared at him, confused. "All those in the medicine den are taken care of. Is there someone I am missing?"

"Petalpaw."

I winced as I heard the name of my victim. As if I needed to be reminded about what I had done, especially after what I did to Shortface.

"I- well. . ."

"You do not have an excuse that would make me less angry at you," Bramblestar growled. "Why would you let her die?"

"I'm sorry, I just thought I had a duty to Maplepelt's kits," Clawtear said through me. "I wasn't thinking about the ugly she-cat."

Bramblestar sighed, looking at me. "I suppose you do, but you also must take care of all your patients. Petalpaw was one of them."

I dipped my head. I dearly wanted to say I was so sorry and didn't want to, but I couldn't. Clawtear wouldn't let me

"Do you do you know who killed Shortface?" Bramblestar asked tentatively.

Before I could reply that yes, I knew exactly who had done it, Clawtear said, "No, I don't. Probably some stupid LizardClan cat."

Bramblestar dipped his head. "That's what I thought. Those good-for-nothing cats are capable of anything and everything." 

"You should go rest," I suggested. "It was a hard battle, and you should be the first to recover. The clan must have your leadership."

He nodded, turning wearily. He padded back to the medicine den.

I sighed, anger overflowing from me. Why couldn't Clawtear leave me alone? 

It's your fault.

I growled, whipping up and running into the forest. The wind rippled my fur as my paws thudded against the forest floor.

I don't know how long I ran. It might've been a couple minutes or hours. 

Anyway, I was far from our territory when I stopped. The stars shone above me brightly as I halted. 

I looked around, wondering where I was. Instead of being surrounded by trees and lush undergrowth, I was surrounded by cliffs and stone. 

A scent hit me.

"Do you smell that?"

I crouched low, crawling behind a rock, attempting to go downwind. My ears twitched as I listened further.

"Smell what, Soot?" another male voice asked. "You have been eating too much meat."

"I do not scent it anymore," the one named Soot said after a pause. "Perhaps you are right, Owl. Let us keep going."

The wind suddenly shifted.

A new male voice spoke.

"No, Soot is correct. There's someone here. And it's right behind that rock."

I froze, fully realizing that they really knew where he was.

"Come out!" 

I hesitated for a moment before slowly walking out from behind the rock.

"Who are you?" a smoky tom cat snarled. "What are you doing on our territory?"

"Uh. . . my name is. . . Halflight!" I lied quickly. "I come from a long way away. I don't know how I got here."

"Perhaps you came in your sleep?" the smoky cat snarled. "What do you mean you do not know how you got here?"

"Well. . . I was just running. I didn't see where I was going."

"Then you should be more careful!" a long-haired brown tabby hissed. "You cannot just run around wherever you like!"

I dipped my head. "I know. I got carried away."

"Well, we can't just let you out," the brown tabby said. "We must take him back to our refuge."

"What?" I gasped. "N-no! No way!" 

"You don't have an option. You should have been more careful." 

"No- wait- you can't do this-!"

"Shut him up, Owl," the sooty tom said.

"Gladly," the long-haired tabby tom smirked, walking up to me. 

My mouth was stuffed with some ferns; I was pushed to the ground. They wrapped my legs and neck with vines and grabbed the ends of it.

I sighed as I started to get dragged. 

I wondered when I would be able to return home. 

There we go! I didn't know what to put next :3

What is your opinion of Badgerleg now?