5. A Foe

Christopher Fanshawe, in that moment, chose the most natural course of action. Even though not the most agreeable course of action, Christopher's fistfight did lead him to victory, and not the end of the Fanshawe line. The injuries on his face do not make him look ugly, rather, they give him a rugged boyish appearance, making him look all the more attractive. The result, which is quite contrary to Arthur Thomson's intentions, is pleasing for Christopher. He admires what he calls his 'battle scars' in the mirror on the landing. His assumptions of Victor Waverley arrival before himself were heavily misplaced. Only now that he hears footsteps, rather demure ones, does he prepare himself for Victor's arrival.

No sooner does he see Victor reach up the stairs and stop in his tracks, does he grab hold of Victor's shoulders and pull him towards the chairs to talk to him squarely. Christopher's grip on Victor's shoulder merely tightens, and even though he notices Victor wincing in pain, he does not let go. A man cannot be so frail. The weakest of men should be able to take this.

"Waverley," Christopher says, still holding him, "What do think you did there? You ran away like a coward. Now, everyone must think that Christopher Fanshawe's friend is a weakling. Do you know the amount of damage it has caused my reputation?"

Victor shirks off Christopher's hands from his shoulders. "Mr. Fanshawe, there are some things you must engrave deep in your memory. To begin with, I am neither your friend, nor your acquaintance. I do not associate myself with you under any circumstances. Now, this bears but one implication- my actions must and should not affect you, nor should your personal rivalries be a source of trouble for me, or impede me from attaining my ends."

"Waverley, you..."

"I am not done speaking, Mr. Fanshawe. Why must I be answerable to you about my whereabouts or why I ran away? I did what I thought of to be the most rational course of action. I am an honourable man, and I have no interest in being harmed because of some person who happens to be your foe. You might find it absolutely fine to get into duels, scuffles, tussles, and injure yourself in the process. But I have no intentions of doing so, and that, Mr. Fanshawe, you must understand."

Victor's words come as a great surprise to Christopher, who, until now, thought of Victor to be a man of few words, even when not manly enough. Christopher desires to speak, but he must now choose his words carefully, for his co-tenant does not seem to spare his words when accosted. "I understand your concerns since you are new here," Christopher says. "However, running away with a stranger was not the best decision you made."

"That person is no stranger. If a stranger exists, then it must be you, Mr. Fanshawe. Now, if you would excuse me." With that Victor strides into his room, leaving Christopher unable to formulate any further arguments.

***

Clara shuts the door and bolts it. She walks to her bed with wobbly feet and sinks on it. She never thought of being able to speak to this extent in front of a man who is a complete stranger to her. Christopher Fanshawe, Clara thinks, has the ability to bring out the worst in every living being around him. Mr. Fanshawe must indeed think lowly of Victor Waverley- a man who cowered in face of challenge. Clara argues in her defence- she is in no position to go against anyone here. She has to ensure her existence remains quiet, but after witnessing the events of the day, she fears for herself. She can no longer be assured that she would remain unharmed. Perhaps, a removal from Mrs. Mortimer's would offer her a much needed assurance. That course of action, too, remains indefinite until a letter from Benjamin arrives.

Upon hearing a knock at the door, she slowly heads towards it. "Who's it?", she asks.

"A letter for you, sir.", comes a voice from outside the door.