part -6

5 years later.

We moved to London a year ago. We learned that moving to London would be the best option. They have the technology and resources to treat my husband here. We got married 3 years ago. And we have a small girl, Akruti.  Who is 2 now. From the outside we may look like a perfect happy family. But it's been tough. But whose life isn't? Mayank has lost a lot of weight lately. When we moved to London, mayank opened another branch here, and it took off, I help him in the business too. We live in a 3 bedroom apartment, a dog.  Perfect, right?.

Mayank has difficulty is balancing sometimes. He gets tired easily. And sleeps early. His health has been slowly deteriorating, and it's hard to see him like this. But I have to be strong for Akruti. We tested her for this same disorder, but she's been cleared. She is safe and will have a long life.

We are in the hospital right now, hoping to hear some good news. Mayank is inside undergoing some tests. Akruti sits on my lap dozing off. It's 8:40pm. And we haven't eaten anything at all except for akruthi.

The doctors calls us In. I sit there holding my daughter. The doctor says "the infection has spread. And if left alone, could damage the vital organs. And we don't really want that. There is this new trial treatment, I wouldn't be recommending it unless it was our last resort. With treatment, "you can get rid of the infection, and use meds for some years until everything is back to normal. Another issue here is with the treatment, it can be risky".

" How risky, doctor". I ask

"It could be fatal. But it's completely upto you to make that decision". He says.

"Doctor, what do you suggest we do?". I ask desperately

"I suggest you go with the surgery. It's risky, but I think Mayank is healthy enough to go through with it". He says.
Akruthi jolts awake, and starts crying. I rock her up and down to calm her down.

"Take her out, I will be there in 2 min" Mayank says.

"Ok, I will be in the car". I say and leave.

By the time I reach the car she is sound asleep. After I set her in the backseat, and take the driver seat. Mayank appears. He seems tall and skinny. He opens the door, and checks on his daughter and we leave.

We reach home, he picks akruthi up and tucks her in. He comes to our bedroom. "I think you should go with the treatment, Mayank" I say closing up the distance between us.

"I know. After years, we finally have something that either lead me to death or life". He hugs me softly.

"I am so tired, Mayank. I want you in our daughter's life. I can't raise her without you. We need you. You are our everything". I cry it out in a long time. He simpy holds me.

"We will take this risk and go for that treatment. I will fight for both of us till the end of my life". He says

"When do we start?" I ask

"Tommorow" he replies.

We wake up in the morning, akruthi has sneaked into our bed again. She is snuggled against her father, who tucks her in his arms. I love seeing this. I will never get tired of this.
"Hey, monster. What are you doing here, huh?

"I wanted daddy". She says in her sweet baby voice.

"You don't want me huh?". I ask
"No" she says
I grab and tickle her.

Her laugh could make all my worries vanish, even if it's for a few minutes.

We stay in bed until it's time to go the hospital.

I leave akrithi with the babysitter.

And we go to the hospital.

The first session is complete. 4 more.

Days turn into weeks, and still the progress is very low, the lastest scan shows, the infection has not reduced.
"Doctor, why is this happening, I thought he would get better". I ask .

"I understand your concern. But each individual reacts differently based on their age, lifestyle and etc. I request you to be patient, thats all. We don't know when exactly, these treatments finally give  you the desired results. I will increase the session. This is going to be a long process. Have hope".

We drive in silence back home.Akruthi jumps on her daddy. "Pick me up. Pick me up" she says with her hands stretched to him. He bends down and struggle to pick his own daughter. I go and pick her instead, and hold up from him. He kisses her cheeks "what has my beautiful, girl has been doing? he asks.

And they two have conversation that only they can understand.

My chest tightens. Money is not the problem, thanks to Mayank brilliance, the business is going great. And I go to the office sometimes to make sure everything is in order.

This man has taught me so many things. I can drive, ride a two wheeler, and run a fucking business. I am so proud of me. I can't live without him.

I cook dinner, while Mayank and Akruthi play something. He is teaching her something.

I finish cooking and open my phone to see there is a message from

Riya: we are coming to visit!!
Me: yes,please. When?
She replies immediately
Riya : next week save the date. See you soon.

I go the hall and see them colouring.

" Riya is coming to visit us". I say excitedly.

"When?" He asks

"Next week". I say

Riya arrives with her husband, Goutham. She broke up with Sourav after 6 months of moving in. They weren't for each other I guess. But I can see why she chose Goutham. He seems nice.

We are all sitting around our dinner table. Akruthi sits between me and her Daddy. And Riya and Goutham sit next to each other. They got married a year after we did. No kids. They have been travelling together.

Dinner goes well. Mayank tells everyone about the treatment and his progress and no progress. After we are done with eating. I leave Akruthi with her daddy and Uncle Goutham.

Me and Riya go to our bedroom and catch up on a lot of things. I

They are planning on staying here for 2 days.

So for the next 2 days , I show them around. Leaving akruthi with Mayank. Doctor has advised not to travel. So he doesn't travel that often.
Except for hospital visits and the park nearby.