1 | Same As Always

My favorite time of day.

I loved the morning. Almost as much as I loved night. Morning meant the sun would rise and cast beautiful colors into the sky. Morning meant hot tea and freshly baked muffins. It meant waking up in a warm bed, fully rested.
Most importantly, it meant waking up next to him. Lou. My love. My everything.

"Good morning, my love ~"

I sung quietly and fixed his blonde hair a bit. He smiled and rubbed his sleepy blue eyes. "Good morning, honey." he said in his tired morning voice. He cleared his throat and looked at the clock on the wall.

He sat up and stretched his arms.
He then looked down at me and kissed my forehead. It made my heart flutter, same as always.

He slid off the bed and stood up to find the clothes that we had thrown on the floor from the night. I sat up, not really wanting to leave the bed while he threw a shirt into my lap.

"That's yours, right?" He questioned and put on his own underwear and pants.
I nodded and put the shirt on. My lower body was still naked, but it was covered from the blankets.

"You want to eat something before you go? " He stretched his arms again. He had really nice arms. Not too scrawny, but not too muscle-y. He was perfectly toned.

"I don't want to go.."
I whined.

He sighed through his nose and sat next to me. "We have to do it this way.. you know how this goes. You have to go early so no one sees you leaving my house."

I knew that. Of course I knew that. But we'd been doing that way for 2 years. I was starting to get tired of the way we were doing things.

"Hey.." his hand held the back of my head. "I love you."
Our foreheads leaned against one another. The cologne he wore from last night tickled my nostrils.

I smiled and kissed him. He kissed me back and held my face so he could have more control. I hummed against his lips happily and tried to hold his face too.

He chuckled and pulled away from me. We caught our breath and he glanced at the clock once more.

"You should go now.. my love."

I looked at the clock, too.
It made my shoulders drop.

"We'll see each other later.
Don't worry."
He assured me and helped me finish dressing. He made me a tea and sent me out the back door.

At that time, there is barely anyone walking around. All I had to do was make sure noone saw me coming out the door.

I brought myself home. To my own, sad lonely house and changed my clothes after a nice shower.

When it was time, I left and headed to my class.
A voice called my name and ran up to me.

"Hey, Nolan."
The voice belonged to one of my friends. His name was Michael.
I used to have a lot of friends. People were drawn to my unique look of different colored eyes and freckles. But I got careless and everyone started realizing that I was a sinner. A freak. A gay.

He walked calmly next to me and said nothing else. He never said too much but he was always hovering around me. I often wondered why. Sometimes I thought maybe he was like me.
In hiding.

"Michael? We're getting our tests back today, right?"

"Yes. We are."

"How do you think you did?"
I reminded myself to talk lower. Like a straight man would.

"I'm sure I did fine. You?"

We kept walking. The test was  on math. The worst thing anyone had ever created.
"Same."
I said it calmly but I knew in my mind, I probably failed.