𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒐𝒏𝒆; 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒗𝒂𝒏𝒊𝒔𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒐𝒇 𝒘𝒊𝒍𝒍 𝒃𝒚𝒆𝒓𝒔.

𝒑𝒂𝒓𝒕 𝒕𝒘𝒐; 𝒈𝒐𝒏𝒆.

NOVEMBER 7TH, 1983, HAWKINS, INDIANA.

"Where the hell are they?!" Yelling could be heard in the voice of Joyce Byers while searching for her keys. Mornings in the Byers' house were not usually this hectic. "Jonathan?" She called for her son's help, who was making breakfast for his sister and brother. "Check the couch!" he yelled back. Joyce throws pillows off the couch, yelling "I did!" in response. She reaches under the last one and grabs them. "Oh... Got them." She announces in a high pitched, slightly embarrassed, voice. Grabbing her purse, she walks over to her son. "Okay, sweetie. I will see you tonight." - "Yeah, see you later." he responds to his mom. Just as she's about to turn away, she realizes her other kids aren't even up yet. "uh- where's Y/N and Will?"

"Oh, I didn't wake them up yet- they're probably still sleeping." He says frantically. "Jonathan, you have to make sure they're up!" Joyce exclaims, waving her hands around. She goes down the hall to get them and make sure they're actually awake. "Mom, I'm making breakfast!" He tries to make an excuse. She reaches to open the door of her daughter's room after mumbling something about telling him a thousand times.

"Y/N! Are you ready?" She asks as she swings the door open. 16 year old Y/N brushes through her long hair often left down to cascade along her back. "Hi, mama." Y/N greets her mother. "Good morning, honey. Have you seen Will this morning?" Joyce said while walking in. Y/N shakes her head while putting down the hair brush. "Uh, no. I havent been out of my room yet." she replies with a confused expression, wondering why no one has seen her yet Joyce pats her shoulder. "That's ok, sweetheart. Now get moving! Time for school." She says loudly with a big smile on her face, making Y/N laugh. Joyce walks over to Will's room, going to see if he's ready as well. "Will! Come on honey. It's time to wake up." She claps her hands twice signifying they need to hurry.

The mother looks around the room, but doesn't see her son anywhere. "He came home last night, right?" Joyce asked in a worried voice as she followed Y/N down the hall back to the dining room. "He's not in his room?" Y/N asks. "Did he come home or not?" She asks again. "I don't know?" Jonathan replied while putting waffles on a plate for them."You don't know?" - "No... I- I got home late. I was working." Joyce gets more and more worried by the second. No one knew where he was or if he was even okay. "You we're working?" She questions before turning to her daughter once again. "and you?"

Y/N's eyes widen, "I was at a friend's house studying for a test... I didn't get home until Jonathan was here." She feels a sense of unease with thinking about where Will could have gone. "I just thought we could use the extra cash." Jonathan starts again. Joyce rolls her head in annoyance, even though she thinks it was a nice gesture. "Jonathan, we've talked about this..." He lets out a sigh of guilt and responds with, "I know, I know." She raises her voice this time, hoping to be clear. "You can't take shifts when I'm working." Y/N takes a deep breath before speaking again, hoping to sooth the sense of worry arising in her stomach. "Mama, it's not a big deal. He was at the Wheeler's all day. Maybe the campaign took longer than expected and he slept over!" She waves her hand over to the yellow phone a few feet away. "Why don't you just call Miss Wheeler and ask?"

Joyce takes her daughter's advice, and dials Karen Wheeler's number. "Hello?" Karen asks over the phone. "Hi Karen! It's Joyce..." She responds, starting with joy. "Oh Joyce, hi." - "What the hell, Mike!" - "Hey! Language!" - "Are you kidding?" - "Quiet!" Joyce's face lights up in hope. "W-Was that Will i heard back there?" She asks quickly as possible, the words falling off her tongue at the speed of light. "Will? No, no, it's just Mike." Karen says back. An expression of confusion spreads across her face as she looks back to her kids. "Will didn't spend the night?" Joyce's mind scrambles to find a solution to what happened to him.

"No, he left a little bit after 8. Why, he's not home?" Concern was laced into Karen's tone as she spoke into the other line. Joyce, hoping to not make anyone worried, (mostly herself), came up with a good excuse before jumping to conclusions. "Um- you know what? I think he just left early for- for school. Thank you so much. Bye"

"Okay. Bye." She places the phone back into the slot and leans against the wall with a sigh as she looks back at the teenagers standing before her.

☆☆☆

hiii

okay so basically my story has been published before in like 2021 and I didn't like it anymore and deleted it like a year ago and I'm back because I have the urge to write again.

the whole first season is already written, as well as some of the second season, so I think I'm gonna post each chapter's parts all at once so that my readers can get like 4 chapters each time I publish a new one. I dont know if that made any sense but it's okay! I'm just trying to go fast cuz I LOVEEEE writing.

again ty for reading!! new readers are always appreciated and because this book has already been posted before, I know that the process of gaining reads and stars is a long one that requires patience and gratitude. so thank you and ily!