Flowers to Clarify

Author's Note: Just to make it clear, this fic takes place after Sonic x Shadow Generations, basically the aftermath of having to face his painful past again. Even though the game hasn't even come out yet lol, I wanted to write something <3

---

Stars twinkled admist the inky expanse that was space. Waves crashed against the rocky cliff that overlooked the sea. On the edge sat a solemn, silent silhouette. The figure stared up at the starry night sky, abnormally irritable. This would usually be a beautiful sight for the hedgehog, though tonight, Shadow was still recovering from his most recent endeavour. All those painful memories that he'd thought he'd overcome, loss and mourning he thought he'd finally accepted. It felt like a closed wound had been re-opened, so now all the blood oozed out again and the searing pain had returned. Shadow thought he'd finally come to terms with the death of his closest friend, Maria, but he never managed to outrun his past. It always found a way to come back to bite him, even bringing back Black Doom. 

Now all he could do was move on once again and hope that it was finally over. His heart still stung and his lungs still felt squashed after seeing her again. The pain of seeing her after so long and knowing he'd have to leave her again was almost too unbearable. He hated being stuck in this cycle of misery, constantly being reminded of who he used to be and what he had done. It was like Maria's death was the only noticeable quality about him. Nobody could let him move on, as much as he desperately tried to. 

He'd never forget her, absolutely not, but he feared if he didn't move on he'd risk breaking her promise. He'd go insane if he mourned her every day of his immortal life. 

Shadow's crimson red eyes ached, threatening to spill tears. He held his head high, looking up at the sky, desperately trying to hold himself together. He had been torn at the seams since he'd been thrown around in his past memories. His eyes scanned over the constellations and shining orbs in the night sky, taking slow, deep breaths. 

Everything was okay now. It was all back to normal. It was over. He'd never get another glimpse of Maria again. His head dropped at that last thought and he struggled to keep his composure. 

Alarm spread through the ebony hedgehog as he heard grass crunching behind him. He swiftly wiped away any evidence of himself crying, before turning his head to shoot the intruder an angry glare. He was met with Sonic, his hands behind his back with a sheepish smile.

"Sorry if I'm interrupting your private time, I just had to come see you," Sonic mumbled softly. 

The cobalt hedgehog took another step forward, waiting for Shadow's protest. All he got was a half-hearted grumble, as Shadow turned back to stare at the navy blue waves. Suddenly, Shadow couldn't bring himself to look at Sonic and was now very interested in the waves, watching the white foam bubble at the top of them.  

The azure hedgehog didn't seem to mind, sitting down at the cliff's edge next to the brooding hedgehog. Sonic knew he had a reason to be so upset today, however. 

"I'm sorry about... Everything that happened. It must be rough being reminded about, well, what happened," Sonic cringed at himself for the stupidity in his sentence, fumbling awkwardly with his words. 

Sonic was not one to console others, yet something in his heart pushed him to find Shadow. To comfort him in some way or another. He watched Shadow's expression, which looked like a mix of hurt and anger, as though he was trying to disguise his anguish with frustration. 

"If you came here to help fix my feelings, hedgehog, don't bother. You're not helping," Shadow growled, his patience wearing thin on top of his sorrow. 

"I know I'm not good with words, sorry. So I brought you something instead," Sonic smiled nervously as he pulled out the arm behind his back to reveal a bouquet.