A Halloween Surprise

It is October 31st, Halloween, meaning everyone is receiving owls carrying sugary sweets. Cinnamon soars down to me, a package held in her claws. Inside my mail is a red box with gold details, the signature packaging of my favorite chocolates. Next, I examine the letter attached to the box. My father's signature wax stamp holds the envelope shut; this is the first letter he has sent me, I note as I gently peel back the wax.

    The letter is pristine, with no dark ink smudges on the page. The writing is so elegant. The strokes of ink flow elegantly on the page. Each word sits perfectly straight in its sentence.

My dearest Y/n,

    Darling, I'm disappointed in all the trouble you're making. I specifically told you to stay out of trouble. I know we don't agree with your housemates' beliefs, but I'm afraid there's not much you can do. Slytherins have been like that since I was at Hogwarts. I know it's hard to be the bigger person. However, for the sake of our name and the business you will inherit, quit making enemies out of the Slytherins. Many of them could be great connections to have in the future. Remember, many of those nasty pure bloods live off generations of wealth, and they love investing in quidditch. So please, focus on keeping yourself out of trouble with them and your teachers. You don't have to be friends, keep your relationships with them civil and polite. It's for the best, and I don't want you getting physically hurt. For Merlin's sake! You dueled one of your upperclassman! I don't want to hear about anymore duels, okay?

Besides all the owls about yours misbehavior, your grades are looking spectacular. You're on the route to be a Head Girl. Keep working, you're doing good. Although, the amount of detentions you have may prevent you from doing so. So there's another reason to keep things cool with the Slytherins.

Your mother and I miss your beautiful face so much. Merlin help me, your mum has horrible separation anxiety. As I speak, she's learning how to prepare your favorite meal from the house elves. By the way, please let us kn0w if you'd like anything from outside mailed to you. I hope your chocolates have reached you safely and get there in time for Halloween. Have a great day darling!

Love,
Dad

How can I possibly keep my head down and be polite to those pompous little twats? My head hurts at the thought of it! I can barely have a conversation with a Slytherin without it ending in an argument. They are all such brainwashed assholes! Although, maybe I should give it a try. It would be great if I did not have to sleep in Hermione's bed anymore. I suppose I can begin salvaging our relationship today. Today, I decided to return to the Slytherin dining table instead sitting at the Gryffindor one.

    I sit with a pensive expression, unbothered by the eyes of Slytherin students piercing into me. Most notably, Malfoy, sitting across from me, a few feet away. He is all alone, waiting for all his followers to arrive.

    Quietly, I think to myself, picturing the disappointed look on my father's face. "I'll do it for him. And if worst comes to worst, I've gotten better at dueling thanks to Cedric," I mumble to myself while opening the package of my favorite chocolates. The sturdy cardboard box is red with reflective gold letters. I smile brightly at the immaculate condition of the box. After opening the container, I snap off a piece and pop the treat into my mouth. The smooth, rich flavor melts on my tongue, forming a contented smile on my lips.

"Blood traitor!" Malfoy hollers, catching my attention. The blonde continues in his snooty tone, wanting to ruin my mood first thing in the morning, "What's that?" My instincts urged me to tell him to fuck off. However, remembering my father's words, I attempt to keep a neutral expression. Friendly even. I force a smile on my closed lips. The blonde's eyebrows furrow suspiciously at my unusual gesture.