13. Someone We Trust

As the moon cast its eerie glow over Nevermore Academy, the atmosphere within its ancient walls was heavy with fear and suspicion. The latest victim, a junior named Thomas Evans, had been found brutally murdered in the abandoned wing of the school, his body mutilated beyond recognition. Another ghostly mask, a chilling trademark of the killer known as Ghostface, lay beside him, mocking the desperate attempts to bring an end to the bloodshed.

Wednesday and Enid stood side by side amidst the chaos of the crime scene, their faces etched with determination. Enid's usual cheerfulness had been replaced by a grim resolve, mirrored in the unwavering gaze of her dark-eyed companion.

"We have to stop this, Wednesday," Enid declared, her voice tinged with urgency and frustration.

Wednesday nodded in agreement, her mind already racing to piece together the puzzle before them. But amidst the chaos of the crime scene, a flicker of movement caught her eye—a subtle shift in the shadows, too quick to be mere coincidence.

"Did you see that?" Wednesday whispered, her voice barely audible over the din of the investigation.

Enid shook her head, her brow furrowed in confusion. "See what?"

But before Wednesday could respond, Principal Weems emerged from the crowd, her expression grave. "Wednesday, Enid, we need to talk."

In the solemn confines of Principal Weems' office, they were briefed on the latest development—the discovery of a clue left behind by the killer. A piece of fabric, torn from one of the school uniforms, had been found at the scene, providing a potential breakthrough in the hunt for Ghostface.

As they left the principal's office, Wednesday's mind raced with the weight of the new information. The killer had made a mistake, leaving behind a clue that could potentially unravel their carefully constructed facade. But who among them could be capable of such atrocities?

Pulling Enid aside, Wednesday's voice was low and urgent. "I think I know who Ghostface is."

Enid's eyes widened in shock. "Who?"

"It's someone close," Wednesday replied, her voice tinged with a mixture of determination and dread. "Someone we trust."

The realization hit Enid like a physical blow. "You don't mean..."

Wednesday's gaze was unwavering. "I'm afraid I do."

Together, they retraced their steps, their minds racing as they pieced together the evidence they had gathered. As they reviewed the clues, a disturbing pattern began to emerge—a pattern that pointed straight to Enid.

Enid's breath caught in her throat as the weight of Wednesday's accusation settled over her like a suffocating shroud. "But why, Wednesday? Why would I do something like this?"

Wednesday's voice was heavy with sorrow as she spoke. "I don't know, Enid. But we need to find out before it's too late."

In the ensuing silence, the gravity of their situation hung heavy between them, a chasm of uncertainty and betrayal that threatened to consume everything they held dear. With their bond tested to its breaking point, Wednesday and Enid embarked on a perilous journey to confront the truth and bring an end to the nightmare that had engulfed Nevermore Academy.