15. Enid's Confession

The room felt smaller, the walls closing in around them as Enid took a deep, shuddering breath. Wednesday's gaze was unyielding, a dark intensity that seemed to pierce through Enid's very soul. Enid knew there was no turning back now; the truth had to come out.

"Wednesday, you have to understand," Enid began, her voice trembling. "It was never supposed to be like this. I didn't plan for things to get so out of control."

Wednesday remained silent, her eyes never leaving Enid's. The weight of the moment pressed down on both of them, the air thick with anticipation.

"It started with Laurel Gates," Enid continued, her voice barely above a whisper. "She was the first. She was always so cruel, always putting me down, making me feel like I was worthless. I thought if I could scare her, make her understand what it felt like to be afraid, maybe she'd stop."

Wednesday's expression hardened. "But you didn't just scare her, Enid. You killed her."

Enid's eyes filled with tears, but she pressed on, unable to stop now that the floodgates had opened. "I didn't mean to, I swear. It was an accident. I panicked, and things spiraled out of control."

She paused, gathering her thoughts before continuing. "After Laurel, I felt trapped. I couldn't go to anyone for help, not without exposing what I'd done. And then... I realized something. All these people, all these horrible, cruel people—they deserved it. They deserved to feel the fear they inflicted on others."

"But Thomas Evans? Jeremy Hawke?" Wednesday's voice was sharp, cutting through Enid's rationalizations. "They were innocent."

Enid's face twisted with anguish. "Jeremy wasn't innocent! He was part of that horrible initiation, remember? He blackmailed and hurt so many students. And Thomas... I'm sorry, but I needed a way to keep you close, to make you see how much I needed you."

Wednesday's eyes widened slightly, a flicker of something like pity flashing across her features. "You killed them to keep me close?"

Enid nodded, tears streaming down her face. "I know it sounds insane, but I was desperate. I was losing you to this investigation, to your obsession with finding the killer. I thought... I thought if I could control it, if I could be the one behind it, I could protect you. Keep you safe."

"Protect me?" Wednesday's voice was incredulous. "Enid, you became the very thing you were trying to save me from."

Enid's shoulders shook with sobs, her hands trembling. "I didn't know what else to do. I love you, Wednesday. I've always loved you. I couldn't stand the thought of losing you to someone else, or of you being hurt by the real killer."

Wednesday's heart ached with a mixture of anger, sorrow, and a twisted sense of understanding. She could see the desperation in Enid's eyes, the raw, unfiltered emotion that drove her to such dark lengths.

"But Enid, you didn't protect me," Wednesday said softly. "You put me in more danger than I ever would have been. You became a monster."

Enid collapsed onto the bed, her sobs echoing through the room. "I know. I know, and I'm so sorry. I never wanted this. I just wanted you to be mine."

The silence that followed was heavy, punctuated only by Enid's ragged breaths. Wednesday stood there, her mind a maelstrom of thoughts and emotions. She had uncovered the truth, but at what cost? The girl she had come to care for, to love, was a murderer. Driven by a twisted sense of love and revenge, Enid had crossed lines that could never be uncrossed.

Finally, Wednesday spoke, her voice a mixture of resolve and heartbreak. "Enid, you have to turn yourself in. This has to stop."