18. The Final Moments

The room was shrouded in a heavy silence, broken only by Enid's ragged breaths and Wednesday's whispered words of comfort. Wednesday cradled Enid in her arms, her dark eyes shimmering with unshed tears. The knife lay discarded on the floor, a stark reminder of the violence that had erupted.

"Enid, I'm here," Wednesday whispered, her voice soft and soothing. "I'm here with you."

Enid's eyes fluttered open, her gaze filled with pain and regret. "Wednesday... I'm sorry," she gasped, her voice barely audible.

"Shh," Wednesday murmured, gently brushing a strand of hair from Enid's face. "Don't talk. Just rest."

Tears streamed down Enid's cheeks as she clung to Wednesday, her strength fading with each passing moment. "I... I just wanted us to be together."

"We are together," Wednesday assured her, her voice trembling. "And we always will be."

Enid's breathing grew shallow, her grip on Wednesday's hand weakening. "I love you, Wednesday."

A tear slipped down Wednesday's cheek as she leaned closer, her lips brushing against Enid's ear. "I love you too, Enid. Forever."

Enid's eyes flickered, her gaze searching Wednesday's face. "Do you remember the night we watched the stars?"

Wednesday's heart tightened at the memory. "Of course I do. It was the first time I saw you truly happy."

Enid's lips curved into a faint smile. "You told me about the constellations... about Orion and Cassiopeia."

"And you made up your own constellations," Wednesday added, her voice softening with affection. "The wolf and the raven, side by side in the night sky."

Enid's eyes shone with a mixture of tears and joy. "You said we were like them. Together, no matter what."

Wednesday nodded, her own tears falling freely now. "I did. And I meant it. We'll always be together, Enid. Even when we're apart."

Enid's grip on Wednesday's hand tightened briefly, then loosened as her strength waned. "Will you tell me about the stars again?"

"Tell me about our stars," Enid whispered, her voice barely a breath.

Wednesday's heart ached, but she forced herself to continue, her voice gentle and soothing. "The wolf and the raven. The wolf is strong and loyal, her spirit fierce and unyielding. She protects those she loves with all her heart."

"And the raven?" Enid's voice was fading, but the question was filled with hope.

"The raven is wise and fearless," Wednesday said softly. "She watches over the wolf, guiding her through the darkest nights. Together, they face the world, their bond unbreakable."

Enid's eyes filled with tears, a faint smile on her lips. "I love you, Wednesday."

"I love you too, Enid," Wednesday whispered, her voice breaking. "Forever."

As Enid's final breath escaped her lips, a peaceful stillness settled over her features. Wednesday held her close, her heart breaking as she felt the life slip away from the girl she had loved so deeply.

The sound of hurried footsteps echoed down the hallway, growing louder with each passing second. The door to the dorm room burst open, and Principal Weems stepped inside, her face a mask of shock and concern. She took in the scene before her—the blood, the knife, and the lifeless body of Enid—and her expression shifted to one of horror.

"Wednesday, what happened?" Principal Weems demanded, her voice sharp with urgency.

Wednesday gently laid Enid's body down, her own hands stained with blood. She rose to her feet, turning to face Principal Weems with a calm resolve. "Principal Weems, Enid... Enid was Ghostface."

Principal Weems' eyes widened in disbelief. "What are you saying?"

"She confessed everything to me," Wednesday explained, her voice steady despite the turmoil inside her. "She killed those students to protect me, to keep me close. When I tried to convince her to turn herself in, she attacked me. I had no choice but to defend myself."

Principal Weems took a step back, her mind racing as she processed the shocking revelation. "This... this is unimaginable."

"I never wanted it to end this way," Wednesday said quietly, her gaze dropping to Enid's still form. "But Enid... she was too far gone. Her love for me turned into something dark and dangerous."

Principal Weems nodded slowly, her expression softening with sympathy. "I believe you, Wednesday. This is a tragedy for all of us."

Wednesday looked up, her eyes meeting Principal Weems'. "What do we do now?"

"We'll have to report this to the authorities," Principal Weems replied, her voice gentle but firm. "But I'll make sure they understand the full story. You did what you had to do."

As the weight of the situation settled over them, Principal Weems placed a reassuring hand on Wednesday's shoulder. "You're not alone in this, Wednesday. We'll get through it together."

Wednesday nodded, a flicker of gratitude passing through her dark eyes. "Thank you, Principal Weems."

As they stood together in the somber silence of the dorm room, the bond between them strengthened by the shared burden of loss and responsibility, Wednesday knew that she would carry the memory of Enid with her always. The path ahead would be difficult, but she was determined to honor Enid's memory by facing it with courage and resilience.

In the quiet aftermath of tragedy, Wednesday vowed to find a way to heal, to move forward, and to keep the promise she had made to Enid—to love her forever, even in the face of darkness.