Chapter 5

His eyes were closed, but there was still darkness before him. He heard birds celebrating the start of spring in the distance and the closing of a book nearby, before the book was set down on the grass. He was laying down, and his head was resting on a pillow of sorts.

He felt a warmth that rivaled the sunlight, and his mouth quirked into a small smile. "You better not fall asleep like you did earlier in class," Poppy teased with an obvious grin. She sounded like she was above him.

"I can't help it that I feel so comfortable here with you," he reasonably pointed out. He opened his eyes–still darkness–and he reached up, finding Poppy's cheek and gently cupping it. He heard her softly inhale. "You always make me feel at home. As if you are my home."

She breathlessly giggled in response, and he felt her hand brush away his hair. "You always say the most romantic things, Ominis." She then playfully added, "How can I even compare?"

He simply shook his head. "I should be asking that," he protested. He lowered his hand to grab hers out of his hair, ignoring the awkward position of his arm. "Just be here with me, and that's more than enough," he whispered.

"There's nowhere else I'd want to be."

He raised an eyebrow. "Not even where Highwing is?" he asked teasingly.

"She'll always be close to my heart, but you'll always have it."

His own heart skipped a beat at that. "And you think you can't say romantic things," he muttered, feeling heat in his cheeks.

She giggled and then he soon felt strands of her hair brush along the edges of his face. Then not long after, he was graced with another kiss from Poppy, a recurring feeling of love and endearment for the lady he was courting.

~~~

Ominis opened his eyes, not moving for the longest time as he just laid in bed. There were many more parts of dreams he had, but this last one struck a chord. He apparently courted her, in this fantasy world. He was also blind for some reason in that world. He had a feeling, but he didn't come to terms with it until that dream segment with Poppy having read him his favorite story. Why was he blind?

Not only that, but he noticed the way dream-him talked to dream-Poppy, some of the same sentiment and words repeated. He could have dreamt that whole interaction because of their date last night, but this dream–like the others–felt like it really happened.

He sighed and ran a hand down his face. It was confusing, and he didn't know what to make of it. If Anne was right about the vitamin being a memory suppressant, why was it like it suppressed dreams? Did that mean the dreams were memories? And if so, then why were the so-called memories outlandish and nothing like current life?

He reached out to snooze the alarm clock, then he grabbed his phone. He smiled at seeing his message exchanges with Poppy when he opened it. She was just as excited as him to have another date soon, and they even arranged a time for tomorrow–well, today. Maybe he can introduce her to Anne. Speaking of which...

He moved to sit up as he dialed Anne.

"Good morning, Mr. Gaunt," the clock chimed in as usual. "Would you like to listen to your usual playlist?"

"No," he answered as he waited for Anne to pick up the phone. He frowned worriedly when soon after, a tone came on the other end.

"This is Anne. Sorry you missed me, but leave a message, and I'll try to get back to you!"