Chapter 9

Ominis and the two guards rode the elevator all the way up to the thirtieth floor. They didn't make conversation, but Ominis didn't care to try to make any either. When the elevator doors slid open, they roughly grabbed his upper arms, forcing him forward. He gritted his teeth, walking faster to not have to be dragged. He felt a squeeze on one of his shoulders, the warmth from it strangely familiar...

They entered the one and only office on the floor, and the guards shoved him, making him quickly regain his balance. Ominis huffed and glared at the guards before looking at Black.

Black has his back to him, staring out at the grim city. "Mr. Gaunt," he said coldly.

"Mr. Black," he said back with the same tone.

Black turned around, his indifferent mask cracking at the smallest of frowns on his face. "You've caused quite the stir these last few days."

"I don't know what you mean."

"Don't play the fool, you cannot trick me." Black walked around his desk, his hands behind his back.

"If you're referring to things I did, you couldn't have known all I did unless you were illegally watching me," Ominis pointed out, staring defiantly at the man.

"We have eyes and ears everywhere, Mr. Gaunt," Black bit out. "You've been around that girl, Ms. Sweeting, for a couple days. Going to Three Broomsticks, then that insipid cafe, not to mention the visits to her repair shop."

Ominis glared at him, his hands forming fists. "If you touch her," he fiercely began, protectiveness pulsing in his blood.

"I'm not going to do anything to her, as long as you do something about it," Black reasoned. "You leave her, be part of a marriage arranged between you and a lady of our choosing, and she will be perfectly fine."

"You expect me to believe you?" He demanded. He was getting deja vu; he had dealt with arranged pureblood marriages before... He wasn't going to bend to his family's will.

"You know you can trust me, can't you?" Black asked with an arched eyebrow.

Ominis kept his irate gaze, remembering many times in his past life, where Headmaster Black kept badgering him to leave his wife and love for a bigoted witch. "Never."

Black's indifferent mask broke, showing great annoyance. "You're not thinking clearly, Mr. Gaunt," he said in an even tone.

"No, I think I am," he shot back.

"Don't make a mistake, Mr. Gaunt," Black warned.

"I'm not making any mistakes!"

"Yes, you are! Just like befo–" Black stopped, but Ominis caught the panicked look in his steel blue eyes before they hardened.

Ominis stared at him in shock. "You know," he muttered.

Black clenched his jaw. "I had to. After your parents and I heard about you with that girl, we felt like that shouldn't be. A bit of file searching told us what we needed to do to...remember."

"How long have you been off the vitamin?" Ominis asked.

Black raised his chin. "Four days." He waved a hand. "We cannot afford you to continue on with this knowledge." He turned around, his back to Ominis again.

Ominis was about to lunge forward, but the two guards had vice grips on his upper arms. He growled, thrashing against their holds like Sebastian did, but it was no use. "What are you going to do? Make me 'disappear' like my aunt?"

"No," Black answered, not facing him. "You're going TBR, a precaution we've had to take in the past when some people refused to eat their vitamins."

Ominis felt himself getting dragged away, and then he heard Black say into an earpiece or something: "Get the girl."