Chapter 8

Poppy opened her door and looked at him, confused. "Ominis? What are you doing here?" she asked.

"I need to talk to you," he urgently answered. He looked around before looking back at her. "Can I come in?"

"Yeah, of course," she said, stepping back and opening the door even more. He walked in, and she closed the door, the little bit of advanced technology she had automatically locking it. "What's this about? Is everything okay?"

Ominis shifted on his feet. How did he even start this conversation? "Poppy, you remember what I said about how I feel like I've known you for so long?"

She nodded, calmly crossing her arms and leaning on her leg. "Yeah?"

He took a deep breath. "What if I told you that there was a reason behind that?" At her bewildered expression, he elaborated, "What if I told you we knew each other in a past life?" He swallowed, his heart longing for her to believe him. "What if I told you we loved each other in a past life as well?"

She stared at him, her eyebrows furrowed as she thought it over. He waited with bated breath, and then his stomach plummeted when he heard her harshly scoff. "How would that even be possible?" She asked, and Ominis caught her wary tone. A tone she had only used when they first met to fix his cycle.

He could be losing her, but he was going to do all he could to get her to believe him. "The vitamins," he answered. Poppy frowned in confusion, looking more on guard, and he hastily explained everything, from Sebastian not eating the vitamin to Anne looking into it and disappearing. "...and then my aunt–" "Stop, just stop, please," she whispered, close to tears.

"Poppy, please believe me, I know it sounds crazy–" "And you think I'd fall for it?" She demanded, glaring up at him with unshed tears in her eyes. His heart broke at the sight. Poppy turned away, covering her eyes. "I can't believe I trusted you so easily! I should have known better..."

"Poppy, I promise I'm telling the truth!" he begged, desperate for her to listen to him. He knew in their past lives, Poppy had awful insecurities and doubts because of her parents. But she had her gran to raise her at the age eleven. With this life, she was forced to be with her parents until eighteen and only seeing her gran every now and then before she passed away. Her parents poisoned her mindset, and Ominis was seeing how much damage they did to her. How much verbal abuse and gaslighting they must have done to her, making her doubt reality...

"I can't believe I fell for all of this," she darkly muttered, mostly to herself.

Ominis closed his hands into fists, pained at hearing his love doubt him. "Poppy," he said calmly. "I know you more than you think."

"Because of our 'past lives'?" She asked, facing him again, her arms tightly crossed.

"Yes," he answered. She was starting to scoff, but then he said: "Your favorite color is royal blue, but you don't like purple because it reminds you too much of your parents. They always wore purple and gold." Poppy's eyes widened, and he knew he was getting to her. He held onto that hope as he kept saying what he remembered from his past life. "You used to enjoy being alone, because that's how you grew up, but once you started connecting with people, you wished for more company. You convey your care for someone through physical touch, as that is easier for you to say how you feel about someone. You have to sleep with something–or someone–in your arms because you can't stand being alone. You love berries, but not raspberries, finding them too tart for your liking." He stopped, starting to choke up, overwhelmed by the details he knew about the woman he loved in the past and present. He swallowed thickly and he watched as Poppy bowed her head, not showing him her reaction. "How could I know all of that unless I truly knew you?"