The big arcana

'I know where the cup is.' Clary said.

'Come again?' Jace said not believing it.

'The tarot cards.' Clary said before continuing. 'Our mom, she must have painted them years ago but the Mortal Cup has to be hidden inside the Ace of Cups. The card looks exactly like it.'

I saw Jace and Magnus sharing a look.

'Why aren't you guys happy about this?' Clary asked. 'All we have to do is find Dot.'

'If Dot had the cards when she was taken, we don't have much time.' Jace said. 'If Valentine get his hands on the Cup.'

'We know.' Magnus said. 'If Valentine started creating Shadowhunters or gained control of demons, it'd be like Beyoncé riding on a dinosaur through Times Square. People would notice.'

'But he can't control demons. I've seen it. So did Taylor.' Clary said.

'Paying off a few demons is easy, especially since they rarely survive long enough to collect.' Magnus explained.

'Still waiting on Valentine's thank-you card.' Jace said.

'Opening the gates of hell, that's a little more tricky.' Magnus added.

'So what's the plan?' I asked them.

'Valentine doesn't have the cards.' Luke said. 'I do. They're in my desk back at the precinct. When Clary went missing I went to the loft and I cleared everything out, cause I didn't want the Circle to track her.'

'That's great, that should be easy.' Clary said.

'Don't underestimate this.' I said to Clary.

'That's what General Custer said.' Magnus said.

'Magnus is right.' Luke said. 'Valentine has spies everywhere even in the NYPD. We have to be discreet.'

'Discreet?' Clary asked him. 'You look like something out of The Mummy movie.' Clary said to Luke.

'Ohh burn.' I said to Luke.

'We'll go in the morning. Werewolf healing, remember?' Luke said to Clary. 'This is nothing a couple of hours of beauty sleep can't fix.'

'All right the cards are on my desk.' Luke said to me, Jace and Clary. 'It shouldn't take long.'

'All right.' Jace said stepping forward.

'Whoa, whoa, whoa.' Luke said stopping Jace. 'It'll be easier to avoid unnecessary attention if I do this alone.'

'We will wait here.' Clary said.

'I have a bad feeling about this.' Clary said. 'What's taking him so long?'

'I know a way we canule find out.' Jace said. 'Just go in and see for ourselves.'

'Luke told us to stay put, so that's what we're gonna do.' Clary said.

'Guys it could also be that the captain just wants to have a chat with him. So relax.' I said to them.

'That's probably him now.' Clary said as her phone went off.

'I doubt it.' Jace said while looking at a window.

I followed his sight and saw Luke walking with two guys.

''Just so I'm clear, he did mention something about trying to avoid attention, right?' Jace asked us. 'From the looks of it, he's doing a terrible job.'

'Circle members?' Clary asked.

'No, mudanes. Internal affairs officers.' Jace said.

'You can tell all that just by looking at them?' Clary asked.