Chapter 2: A Predetermined Future

Her father smiled sadly and gently patted her head before getting up to get some band-aids and disinfectant for her wounds. She watched him leave and close the door to her room. Once completely alone, Yuki looked down at her tightly clenched fists resting on her thighs. Her heart painfully ached at the idea of leaving the life they had built here. But most of all, she feared the implications of what she had just seen. Lost in thought, Yuki remembered what her mother had told her one evening, a few years ago.

Flashback

Like every other night, her mother had come to read her a bedtime story. After tucking her in, Mrs. Tamura sat on the edge of Yuki's bed and began her tale.

"On the outskirts of a big, bustling city stood a mysterious academy, guarded by a mighty iron gate and towering brick walls built to keep it hidden from prying eyes. This place was known as Gakuen Alice, a renowned, prestigious, and selective school for gifted children possessing special abilities called Alices.

In this wondrous and magical place, the unimaginable was made possible by the thriving students learning to master their Alices. Behind the great walls of this academy, these precious children were kept safe from those seeking to exploit their abilities for selfish purposes. Indeed, Gakuen Alice, and Alices themselves, had always been objects of fascination for some.

However, this picture-perfect appearance was nothing but a façade, for Gakuen Alice was more of a prison than a magical school. Its great walls had been erected to keep the children away from the rest of the world. And every night, if you listened carefully, you could hear their sorrow as they wept for the families they would never see again.

"Mama, why do you look so serious?" Small Yuki had asked while holding her pink rabbit plushie close to her. She could somehow tell that her mother was acting strange as she watched her intently, trying to figure out what she was thinking.

"Well Yuki-chan, this story is different." Mrs. Tamura had started slowly. "This tale is not just a bedtime story that Mama invented. You see, Gakuen Alice exists. It's a school located in Tokyo and..."

"It's a bad place" Yuki quickly and knowingly added having somewhat understood her mother's intentions.

"Yes, it's a very, very bad place" Mrs Tamura repeated then sighed looking weary. "Your Oto-san and I... we-we are doing our best to protect you from the people trying to take you there. Yuki-chan, those people they are dangerous and scary." Mrs. Tamura said gravely, her eyes fearful.

"Mama, I know. I think I saw them... in my dreams before." Yuki said a bit unsure.

The little girl had always known that her dreams were glimpses of the future. Some she could immediately understand, their meaning crystal clear to her. But, on rare occasions, she would have cryptic visions that she couldn't decipher. Her dream of the dark forest was one of those instances. The only thing she knew, was that it was a warning of some sort. Whenever she had this dream, she would notice the same thing happening. After a few months of peace, her parents would suddenly grow fearful and overprotective, eventually keeping her from going outside as much as possible. Then, they would tell her it was time to leave and their family would depart in the middle of the night, before starting over again in another city.

Her parents' strange behaviour had always puzzled Yuki. The first few times it had happened part of her had resented them, she was tired of always staying cooped up inside. But as time went on, she grew used to it. After hearing her mother's story, she finally understood what pushed her parents to act this way.

If I warn Mama and Papa about those scary people coming then, maybe, they won't find us again and I'll be able to go outside more, thought small Yuki hopeful.

End of flashback

Yuki sighed and unclenched her small hands, rubbing the half-moons on her right palm. For two years, they had successfully managed to disappear from the academy's radar after one of her visions guided them to a safe place, their current home. They had been living peacefully and happily, almost forgetting about the academy. But the academy hadn't forgotten her family and had found them again, mercilessly destroying the lives they had built here.

How could she forget that it was only a matter of time before they found her again? They were relentless in their pursuit. They would never let go of her; after all, she was much too important. Yuki possessed what they coveted most: powerful abilities. They wanted to control her, make her their puppet. She had seen it in one of her dreams. Her body was held up by invisible threads painfully wrapped around her delicate skin and attached to pieces of wood that moved her body according to some unknown being's will. In her vision, she was completely helpless, unable to move or speak. When the hands moved, so did her body, and every time, she had to endure the grating, maniacal laughter of a man. No matter how much she pleaded for the nightmare to end, for them to stop, they wouldn't. After all this time, she still remembered it vividly.

The academy was determined to get her. No matter how hard her family tried to disappear, they always found them. No matter how hard she fought back in her dreams, they always got her. Every one of her visions ended the same way. Why were they resisting so much? Was it worth it? Deep down, she knew the answer. She knew what awaited her eventually, her future was set in stone.

⭒ ☽ ☆ ☾ ⭒

Greetings dear readers,

First of all, thank you so much for giving this story a chance and voting, that makes me reallyyyy happy〔'∇`〕!

From now on, I'll try to stick to approximately 1000-word chapters. I'm also planning on uploading once a week (hopefully). 

Anyway, what do you think of the story so far? Are you interested? Intrigued?

Please don't hesitate to leave a small comment or a vote so I know you enjoy my story. If you do that, I'll be even more motivated to write and I might update faster, who knows. Also, if you find a mistake somewhere or something doesn't make sense (and that bothers you), please tell me and I'll fix it! 

Sincerely,

The Author.