Chapter 5: Heartfelt Goodbyes

"I have something for you," started Hotaru slowly. "I wanted to give it to you on your birthday..." She continued, reminiscing about everything they had planned for next week as she placed something in her friend's hand. "Happy birthday, Yuki. Thank you for being born... Thank you for being my friend."

Yuki gazed at her gift, mesmerized. It was a necklace with a thin gold chain and a crescent moon pendant. Its golden surface had been delicately carved to form subtle intricate designs that looked like constellations. Attached to it was a small blue star charm, similar to the night sky, that sparkled in the light. Yuki stayed silent for a few seconds longer, completely at a loss for words.

"I love it!" she suddenly exclaimed when she came out of her stupor. "I'll wear it every day, I promise," she added, smiling brightly at Hotaru, happy and thankful.

Hotaru took a step forward, looking pleased with Yuki's reaction. Taking the gift from her hand, the black-haired girl put it around her friend's neck and fastened it. Once finished, she admired her handiwork and nodded, satisfied. The necklace was incredibly beautiful and complemented Yuki's complexion perfectly.

Yuki gently touched the fine piece of jewellery—it felt strange having something around her neck, the metal still feeling slightly cold in her grasp. The idea of having this piece of her best friend with her at all times reassured her for some reason. Closing her fingers around it, she held it protectively against her chest. Suddenly, three knocking sounds were heard, and the peaceful atmosphere vanished, never to be found again. The two girls turned towards the living room's threshold where they found Mrs. Imai standing.

"Girls, it's time to go now..." Hotaru's mother announced regretfully.

"Yes, Oba-chan..." Yuki answered dejectedly. It really was time to leave now. She also wanted to do something special for Hotaru, but there was no time. What can I give her? Do I have anything with me right now? Looking down, Yuki's eyes caught sight of a shimmer.

"Here, I also have something for you!" the white-haired girl started as she took off her bracelet. "It's my favourite—I mean, was my favourite, 'cause I like your gift even more now." She continued, her eyes sparkling. "Now you'll also have something to remember me by." 

Hotaru looked at the precious piece of jewellery, at a loss for words. She knew how much Yuki loved it; she never took it off. It was a bracelet made of pearls with a delicate silver flower charm hanging from a chain. The beads were see-through, some shaped like stars or hearts, and others round but in various shades of blue, white, and green. It was simple but very pretty. Before she could say something, Yuki left the room, a twinkle of mischief shining in her eyes. Hotaru sighed, realizing her friend wouldn't take 'no' for an answer. Admiring the lovely bracelet, she vowed to cherish it. After all, it was a gift from her best friend, she thought, smiling, her heart feeling warm.

⭒ ☽ ☆ ☾ ⭒

The two families stood silently facing each other, separated by the threshold of the entrance door. The air was heavy, charged with unsaid goodbyes and bittersweet emotions. The night sky was almost black, and the moon was nowhere to be seen, covered by big dark clouds. Not a sound could be heard. Everything was still as if the world had been frozen in time.

"Take good care of yourself and always be careful out there." Mr. Tamura started seriously, his voice faltering at the end. His eyes glimmered with unshed tears as he looked at his closest friend.

"You too, Ta-chan." Mr. Imai answered in his low, calming voice as they hugged. Who could have thought they would become so close? The two men were complete opposites. But as they got to know each other, they realized they had more in common than they first thought.

One by one, the adults all said goodbye, and Yuki was engulfed in Mrs. Imai's warm embrace. Her shoulders trembled slightly from her silent crying. "Never let your guard down, Yuki-chan," she whispered warningly before letting go of her, her eyes teary. Yuki nodded quietly in response, promising to stay vigilant. Then, she felt a big hand on top of her head. Mr. Imai, like his daughter, always looked very aloof. But behind this apparent lack of emotion was a very kind-hearted man. "Take care, Yuki," he told her, looking sorrowful. 

Then, she was suddenly pulled back into another pair of arms. Hotaru hugged her tightly as if she would never let go. They stayed like that for a few seconds before ending their embrace. A lone tear ran down Yuki's face as she looked at her friend, trying to engrave her features in her memory. Silently, they vowed once again to never forget each other. The white-haired girl took a few steps back and wiped her left cheek, giving the Imai family one last smile before turning away.

Hotaru watched the Tamura family's silhouettes disappear into the night, her fists clenched painfully tight. Her teary eyes shone in the dark with determination. See you at Gakuen Alice, Yuki, she thought before harshly wiping her tears and closing the entrance door, her face emotionless.

Greetings dear readers,

Here is the last part of this first Arc. I'm so proud of myself for getting this far °˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°. 

What do you think of it? Isn't it a bit sad? This story will contain angst (probably tons of it because my sadistic side likes to make my characters suffer), but there will also be good times, don't worry... too much...

Anyways, please do vote and comment. Seeing your reactions would make me very happy and motivate me to continue this story and see it to the end.

Sincerely,

The Author. 

P.S.: Now I have to brainstorm the next Arc. I do have a general outline and plan on following the manga (while still taking some liberties here and there), but I don't really know where I'm going next, I guess. I'll find something... somehow... hopefully... please pray for me  ╥﹏╥.