Prologue

She opened her eyes and gasped in amazement at the breathtaking view. She was in a beautiful meadow, full of colourful flowers and the greenest grass. The sky was bright blue with a few white, fluffy clouds scattered about, and a gentle, warm breeze blowing. Looking down, she noticed she was wearing a princess-like, white, frilly nightgown, and that her feet were bare. She wiggled her toes, amused, the grass gently tickling them.

Looking up, she saw a butterfly flying towards her, capturing her attention. Its wings were made of shades of purple with black lining their edges to form intricate designs. It was beautiful, she couldn't keep her eyes off of it. Tentatively, she extended one of her fingers and the butterfly lightly landed on it, its wings still slightly moving. She giggled in childish wonder, feeling indescribable happiness. For some reason, it reminded her of something, no someone she knew very well, a person she held dear. Their name was on the tip of her tongue. But as she felt she would remember, it flew away suddenly.

She didn't know what to do, she wanted to go after it but her feet were stuck in place. She tried to call its name but she couldn't recall. She felt helpless and for some reason, her heart ached. The butterfly continued to fly away, unaware of the whirlwind of thoughts in her mind. It was disappearing behind dark imposing trees that she realised were hiding the massive iron gates of some tall building. The structure was unlike anything she had ever seen, its architecture looked foreign. She felt worried for the butterfly heading in its direction, heading towards the unsettling darkness. Something inside her warned her she should never go there or she would regret it.

Finally, the butterfly had vanished, never to be seen again. A sadness she had never felt before washed over her, and a few tears ran down her cheeks. It was strange, why do I feel so sad? It was just a butterfly. Yes, just a butterfly, she repeated as she wiped her tears. Realising she could move again, she turned away decidedly to face the wide green expense and took off. She could feel the grass and flowers brushing her feet and the wind ruffling her hair and dress.

A few moments later, she finally fell to the ground breathing heavily, her chest rising up and down rapidly as she closed her eyes basking in the warm sunlight. Suddenly, she felt that something was wrong. Rising in a sitting position, she looked around her. The previously enchanting meadow was no more. The sun wasn't shining down on her anymore and in its stead were ominous dark clouds. The breeze was now freezing. Shivering, she wrapped her arms around her to keep herself warm. Suddenly, a powerful gust of wind blew so strongly that it was deafening. Scared, she closed her eyes and shielded her face, her hair and dress ruffling widely around her. She felt like it would take her away. Curling up on herself, she squeezed her eyes shut tightly, desperately praying for it to stop. And, just as suddenly as it came, the wind stopped blowing. Tentatively, she brought her arms down and looked up.

"No." She let out quietly in disbelief, eyes wide. Rapidly, fear took over her. "No!" She cried out loudly. She felt frozen to the bone, completely terrified.

She was in a forest, a very familiar forest. She was surrounded by tall trees on all sides, and everything around her was dark. Unnaturally dark. She knew all too well what was coming. She felt helpless and scared. Her breathing sped up and she started feeling dizzy and lightheaded, the world endlessly spinning around her. All she could distinguish were the big and tall shapes of trees trapping her. Shutting her eyes tightly, she desperately wished for the sun's light to chase away the darkness. She felt suffocated. A lone tear ran down her cheek, and she bit down hard on her lower lip, her throat tight.

A shiver violently shook her tiny frame and a freezing sensation spread through her veins. Opening her eyes wide, she whimpered and clasped her hands on her mouth to silence herself, her tears freely falling as she witnessed the shadows around her getting darker and more threatening. Somehow, as they stretched towards her, they became clawed hands. And, slowly as they inched closer and closer, they grew bigger.

Her legs buckled under her, and she began sobbing loudly. When she felt something cold wrap around her ankle painfully, she screamed. One clawed hand had seized her, pulling her towards the dark expanse of trees. She cried out and tried to find something to hold onto. Anything. But there was nothing.

More and more clawed hands took hold of her, scratching her delicate skin. Two larger and more menacing hands suddenly appeared, one blocking her vision and the other clamping her mouth shut, muffling out her cries. She fell into complete darkness. Everything was silent. Everything was cold and scary. And she screamed one last time.

Greetings dear readers,

Here is the prologue to my first-ever story on Wattpad (or anywhere, really). I've always wanted to write something and here we are!  I hesitated to publish it because I'm really not experienced when it comes to writing (except for essays... I love being a student... (ಥ﹏ಥ))

Anyways, what do you think? Did you enjoy it?

If, like me, you are a BIG fan of Gakuen Alice, please vote and comment—it would make me extremely happy.

Sincerely,

The Author

P.S.: I put the closest image of what I envisioned the forest looking like. The more I look at it the more unsettling it seems... please tell me I'm not the only one thinking that ( ⚆ _ ⚆ ).