Chapter 6: A New Beginning

"Yu..." She faintly heard, not comprehending what was said.

"Yuki-chan..." Called a familiar voice again.

"Yuki-chan, time to get up!" Announced the voice as she finally opened her eyes. Yuki blinked twice, the last images of her dream fading away, and exhaled loudly, pulling her fluffy purple bedsheets over her face. Closing her eyes tightly, she realised today was Monday, a school day.

"Until when do you plan to sleep?" Ms. Tamura asked as she pulled the curtains open. "If you don't hurry, you'll be late for school."

The sun had already fully risen, casting a bright golden glow on Yuki's face and the still half-asleep town. I wish I could've slept more, she mused tiredly. Sighing deeply, she gloomily thought about how today would be boring and tiresome like every other day. Sleepily rubbing her eyes, the little girl got out of bed to get dressed.

It was currently spring, the season of cherry blossoms. Six months had passed since the Tamuras had relocated to this rural part of Japan, surrounded by dense forests and towering mountains. The air here was always crisp and fresh, filled with the scent of pine and wildflowers. In this quaint little town, everybody knew each other and no secrets would stay one for long. Indeed, the townspeople were as nosy as cats, always hunting for juicy gossip. But the Tamura couple resolutely kept to themselves, never revealing more than necessary. They were friendly to their neighbours but never sought to cross the line for fear of jeopardising their precious daughter's safety.

⭒ ☽ ☆ ☾ ⭒

Thanks to her mother's urging, Yuki got to school on time. Her new elementary school was small and old with wooden floors that creaked underfoot and tall windows that let in the warm sunlight. Despite its age, it had been carefully maintained over the years, giving it a loved, peaceful, and welcoming atmosphere—perfect for educating children. On the first floor of the old building was the second-grade classroom. The walls had been painted cream white and decorated with colourful drawings. The big blackboard had been adorned with multicoloured garlands and origami flowers previously made by students. The sensei's desk was on the right side, facing the many rows of children's desks.

Yuki was sitting at the back of the classroom, her head propped up on her hand, and her short legs swaying gently. She looked out of this world, almost like a wondrous character who had stepped right out of a fairy tale. Her deep blue eyes with hints of gold were half-open, gazing outside the big open windows, lost in the clouds. Suddenly, a gentle breeze slipped in, delicately swaying the curtains and her long white locks as if lovingly petting her. The afternoon sun was warm like a blanket, basking her in its golden light. She was the picture-perfect image of peacefulness.

A week after their arrival, Yuki was enrolled in the local elementary school. Refusing to lose another friend again, she decided to keep her distance from the other children. After all, she didn't know when they would have to take off again. Leaving her best friend behind had already been painful enough; she wasn't ready to go through it all another time, especially so soon.

Many times, her classmates desperately tried to befriend her. They would invite her to play, share their snacks, and even offer their favourite toys. But no matter how hard they tried, she remained unreachable, like a distant star in the night sky. No one could seize her. The children often compared Yuki to the moon. She was so far away and so beautiful that one could not help but look at her. Yet, at the same time, she seemed incredibly lonely. She always had this sorrowful air about her, her eyes often lost in thought, but she stubbornly refused to cross the invisible line she had drawn between herself and her classmates.