Chapter 7: An Amusing Deskmate

Yukihira-sensei cleared her throat discreetly, trying to rein in her growing excitement. "Yuki-chan?" she called out, her eyes focused on the young girl seated at the back of the classroom. Realising her student was lost in her own little world, she tried to get her attention again. "Yuki-chan, would you be alright with Ruka-kun sitting next to you?" The elderly lady inquired.

Hearing her name, Yuki blinked and slowly looked up, analysing her sensei's words. Her long white hair moved to reveal her big doe eyes, thoughtfully gazing at the young boy standing next to Yukihira-sensei. She had been half-listening to what was happening from the beginning. She wants him to sit next to me... Yuki thought, her eyes turning to the empty chair next to her. Part of her wanted to say "no," knowing that if she agreed, all the attention of her classmates would focus on her once again. He looks like some young master of a wealthy family, and he's too pretty for his own good—too attention-grabbing. Sighing, Yuki took another good look at the new kid and understood the others' excitement. She hated to admit that she was also curious about him.

Ruka was a beautiful child. His short hair shone like gold and looked as smooth as silk. His eyes were as blue as the cloudless sky and perfectly complemented his alabaster skin. He was undeniably pretty, just like an angel. But there was something else about him. He seemed too extraordinary, his entire being radiating something special. His mere presence commanded attention. Even if he were to be simply standing, it wouldn't matter; he would still stand out like a sore thumb, just like Yuki.

The young girl could see how uncomfortable Ruka was under all this scrutiny. Not so long ago, she had been on the receiving end of this overwhelming curiosity which might explain why she felt this strange sense of kinship with him. Well, it's not like I can say no... Yuki thought as she put down her pen and looked directly into Ruka's eyes, seemingly searching for something before finally nodding, hoping she wouldn't regret it later.

"Mmm... you can sit next to me," Yuki answered, directly addressing Ruka, her words resounding through the silent classroom.

As soon as she finished uttering her sentence, chatter erupted once again. A few children felt disappointed by the sensei's decision; some even envied Yuki. They cast quick glances at each other, their faces a mix of frustration and curiosity. But in the end, they dared not say anything. They could see the smile on Yukihira-sensei's face, nothing would change her mind, especially when she seemed so satisfied. It's okay, we can still talk to him after class, some decided, a determined glint in their eyes. They shifted in their seats, whispering amongst themselves, their excitement barely contained. Like their parents, they were nosy cats, always curious about everything.

Ruka shivered as he watched his classmates talking, an apprehensive feeling forming in the pit of his stomach. He hated being the centre of attention. Since waking up this morning, he hadn't been able to shake off this anxiety weighing him down. When he first stepped inside the classroom, he had dearly hoped he could sit by himself and somehow avoid the attention following him everywhere he went. But his hopes were mercilessly crushed by Yukihira-sensei. Knowing he couldn't protest, Ruka sighed in defeat and plucked up the courage to take a look at his new deskmate. When his eyes fell on her, his heart skipped a beat. Kirei... he thought helplessly, his cheeks blushing a soft pink. The more Ruka looked at her, the more he forgot about all the negative thoughts that had been incessantly plaguing his mind until now. Everything but her disappeared, and he felt calmer than ever before. Unconsciously, his fists unclenched, and his posture relaxed. For some inexplicable reason, even though he had never laid eyes upon her before, she felt familiar and reassuring. The sight of her wrapped him in a comforting blanket, warding off his fears. I wouldn't mind sitting next to her...