Chapter 4: Hope for a Brighter Future

Yuki and Hotaru spent a few more minutes in complete silence. Sometimes, the two little girls didn't feel the need to talk when together; the other's presence in the same space was enough. But in this moment, the silence was far from peaceful and comforting. It was a heartbreaking reminder of what was to come. They had so little time left together, but neither of them could muster the courage to say anything or even utter a goodbye. Time was so precious—it always slipped by too fast, and no matter what one attempted, it was impossible to recover. Despite knowing that, Yuki still desperately wished she could go back in time and somehow change things.

The sound of steps resounded in the empty hallway and, before Yuki could blink twice, Mr. Tamura appeared. Seeing him immediately brought her back to the harsh reality. Hotaru squeezed her hand tightly, almost painfully. Before Mr. Tamura could utter a word, the two friends stood up from their sitting positions on the wooden staircase and slowly walked down, one step at a time, hand in hand, their expressions dark.

As he watched them, Mr. Tamura's eyes teared up, and he clenched his jaw to keep the tears at bay. His heart ached for them, knowing how close they were. He resented Gakuen Alice with every fibre of his being, but most of all, he hated himself for being such a failure of a father. How could he fail to protect his daughter and her happiness so miserably? He felt so powerless, and it was unbearable. He was pulled out of his thoughts when he saw the two young girls' shadows disappearing into the living room.

This time I'll protect my daughter. I cannot fail again, thought Mr. Tamura determinedly as he followed them.

Yuki and Hotaru were sitting on the sofa facing the chimney, blankly staring at their parents standing before them. It had been decided that the two families would go their separate ways from now on. In less than an hour, they would have to pack up and depart like thieves in the night, leaving everything else behind. They had to proceed as quickly as possible; every second mattered. To avoid being found by Gakuen Alice, they would have to vanish completely, head to opposite sides of the country, and cut off all communication. The less they knew about each other's whereabouts, the higher their chances were to escape their pursuers.

Rationally speaking, Hotaru knew it was the best course of action. There was no other way. But the little voice inside her head was screaming at her to do something, to fight the adults' decision. With her alice, she could build a device capable of reaching Yuki from anywhere in the world. That was as easy as breathing for the genius little girl. As long as she willed it she could create the most extraordinary things. But she would never risk Yuki's safety for such a selfish reason; she cared about her too much.

Yuki also realised that letting go was the only way to ensure each other's well-being. Suddenly turning towards Hotaru, she smiled widely, hoping it was convincing enough. She didn't want their last memory of each other to be tainted by tears. She wanted to be remembered as the cheerful childhood friend who, no matter the situation, would always be able to smile and cheer others up.

"Hotaru, it'll be like going on a trip!" Yuki said excitedly, her face lighting up like a Christmas tree. She then squeezed her friend's hand for a second before letting go of it. "It's a new adventure! You'll have toonns of fun and make new friends in no time," she added while getting off the sofa. "And remember? We promised to stay friends forever! Distance won't change a thing. I will never forget you. You will forever be my bestest friend in the whole world!" Yuki finished, her voice full of conviction as she waited for the black-haired girl's reaction.