Fractures

Throughout the entirety of human history, independent of culture or period, there is one trade always in high demand, with just a few professionals with all the skills and talent required to hold the title of Courtesan.

You see, it's more than sex. Yes, sex is always in high demand, but if you are a Courtesan, sex is just one of the crafts in which you excel.

Highly educated, sharp-minded, able to please and charm a person in a variety of ways.

Courtesans are a whole experience.

Most have a passion for the arts (and some are even accomplished artists), good taste in all things. Can talk politics, are well informed, and are able to hold a conversation with anyone.

They come with status, influence, and a guaranteed satisfaction over investment.

Entertainment machines.

Naturally, such rare (and coveted) gemstones would surely need protection. The universe is not a safe place, and living off powerful people's desires can often be a dangerous endeavor.

Enter the Girl: Black Ops Special Agent Fer-de-Lance. Went to the moon. Spies on people. Fell for an alien (once upon a time). Field Surgeon. Cat mom. Currently infiltrated as a mercenary.

(You know her, The Girl).

The kind of girl that could deal with whatever curve ball life threw her way (or so she thought). Until Cecily Evans.

The Girl (currently known as Barbara Frost, hired gun at your service) was not prepared for Hurricane Cecily. By the third day on the job, she was positive that Miss Evans was intended as a lesson in humility by the powers above.

Barbara followed Evans like a loyal shadow, and noticed rather quickly that the Courtesan worked 24/7. Cecily had a tight agenda and planned every single step of her day. And boy, she was busy.

Not a single aspect of her life didn't had a clear goal, and that woman could juggle a marathon of "social meetings" and "particular meetings" like it was no effort at all.

Oh, and Cecily was also a full-fledged business woman (as most people in her line of work).

What a lady of her caliber could be doing at Thesus, you ask? Trading influence. Courtesans had close relations with many powerful people. They were keys to strategic networking.

By the end of each day (and Barbara had worked a full week already), Lance was virtually dead.

My God, and I thought my job was demanding , she mused. They were staying at a private rented mansion, and Lance's room was adjoined to Cecily's.

The lethal-lady-in-waiting was now wearing an earpiece, which was being fed directly by a wire in Cecily's room. You see, the courtesan needed a way to request assistance if and when needed, and Barbara should be ready to politely interrupt or kick the door.

Meaning one of Barbara's tasks was to stay listening to the private meetings (yes, those kinds of meetings).

"On my business, safewords are a must", the courtesan joked while briefing the mercenary. Together, they came up with a code meant to direct the Girl's actions.

Like now. Cecily was done with pillow talk. By weaving a couple of code words into her speech, the girl was prompted to politely knock on Cecily's door, saying how sorry she was, but 'Miss Evans, we have an important engagement early in the morning'. Barabara should sound apologetic for the interruption, and look ashamed while being elegantly scolded by the woman. Then go back to her room and wait.

"That will be all for today, Barbara", Cecily said in her usual cordial tone, looking to the top of the stairs, as she walked back. Lance followed behind once the pair went downstairs, watching their interactions and goodbyes from a distance.