CHAPTER III

Her wavy hair was slightly dancing, as there was a light air kissing her face. Even though the sky was welcoming blueish-grey clouds to shower the earth. The presence of dim sunlight was still there. Its presence was just giving another definition for her peaceful room. Her room was rather simple, there were 3 sets of windows, One window was close to her off-white bed and the other one was just on the foot side of her bed. The last window was just a bit far from the second one, but it was smaller compared to the other two. There was a solid rosewood contemporary brown finished writing table near her bed. To be precise it's an antique table set, each piece, each handwork was crafted by a master craftsman. As she was standing near the window which was just opposite her bed, A light air cares her face and hair once again but this time it was a bit stronger than before as if the wind was eager to kiss her. She was enjoying their little kisses. The very moment was picturesque.

Suddenly she noticed something falling from the left side of the roof. It was not clear for her to identify what it was immediately. So, she rushed outside to have a look at it.
Darin was going through his phone when suddenly someone bumped into him. It was Danelle, but she didn't even bother to look at him as she had something to take a look at. Darin was confused at his sister's behavior so he followed Danelle to see what was happening. As noticing Darin following Danelle- Heera a 56-year-old female worker who is in charge of the kitchen and was once Danelle's nanny, followed them.
Danelle reached outside of her bedroom window to check the thing that had fallen from the roof.
she saw a baby squirrel, she took it in her hands to check whether it was dead or injured. As she took it in her hand, suddenly it started to make a small squeak noise. But it was unheard by her.
Danelle was relieved to see it wriggling in her hands, showing a sign of life. Then Darin who was checking the situation heard its squeaking. He came forward to get a close look. The first thing he noticed was his sister's child-like pure smile. He was thankful to the little creature for letting his sister smile openly once again.
Heera arrived at the scene and saw the baby squirrel and the smile of her baby Danelle.
she spoke.

HEERA: NOW THE MOTHER SQUIRREL WILL NOT ACCEPT IT AS WAS TOUCHED BY HUMANS. SO, YOU HAVE TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY DANELLE.
as Darin and Danelle studied sign language as they planned. Darin started to explain what Aunty said in sign language.

DARIN: AUNTY SAID- NOW ITS MOTHER WON'T TAKE IT AS IT WAS TOUCHED BY HUMANS. SO, YOU WILL HAVE TO TAKE THE RESPONSIBILITY.
Danelle's lips formed an AH shape as she understood what she had done.
She looked at the baby which was searching for milk, and then smiled.
DANELLE: I WILL TAKE CARE OF THIS BABY. (Sign language) She showed the purest smile as the sides of her eyes formed little wrinkles.
They were delighted to see her enthusiasm.
Danelle was about to leave, and that's when Heera asked.
HEERA: WHAT DO YOU GUYS WANT FOR LUNCH?
Darin stopped Danelle by grabbing her left arm. And thought for a little. Then he looked at Danelle with a mischievous expression, biting his lips.
Seeing her brother making a funny expression, Danelle replied by furrowing her eyebrows then raising her left eyebrow and laughing confusedly.
She gestured to him. WHAT IS IT?
DARIN: CAN WE MAKE PIZZA TOGETHER FOR LUNCH? LET'S GIVE AUNTY A REST. (sign language and speaking for Heera to understand at the same time.)
Danelle's and Aunty's expressions clearly show uncertainty.
DARIN: WHY ARE YOU GUYS MAKING THAT EXPRESSION?
HEERA AND DANELLE: I DON'T THINK IT'S A GOOD IDEA. (Danelle spoke in sign language)
DARIN: OH, COME ON WE CAN DO IT DAN. IT'S NOT LIKE WE ARE DOING IT FOR THE FIRST TIME.
HEERA: THAT'S EXACTLY WHY I'M UNSURE ABOUT YOU GUYS' COOKING. I KNOW WHAT HAPPENED LAST TIME WHEN I GAVE YOU MY KITCHEN FOR COOKING. I STILL GET NIGHTMARES FROM THAT THING. OH MY GOD, DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED.

Danelle was 100% sure that, Aunty was mad. And she knows what made her so mad too. Darin was looking down, pouting. Darin wasn't even trying to lift his head to face Aunty. He was damn sure if he lift his head or utter a single word Aunty is going to make his life a living hell by reciting that old story for the 569th time. An earful of lectures, he can't handle that.

About what happened that time. It was the first and last time they ever cooked or entered the kitchen. In simple words, the kitchen was destroyed. They had to do the renovation. The stow was completely destroyed as SOMEONE used kerosene instead of cooking oil.
Danelle let go a small laugh as she remembers the incident. That led Aunty to speak.

HEERA: WHO POURS KEROSENE, WHO EVEN CONFUSES COOKING OIL WITH KEROSENE? IF I WAS LATE... she was interrupted by Darin.
DARIN: AUNTY, WE GOT IT. WE WON'T COOK. WE WILL EAT WHATEVER AUNTY MAKES. END OF DISCUSSION.
HEERA: YOU LITTLE BRAT I'M NOT DONE TALKING.
DARIN: BUT AUNTY, LOOK AT THE BABY SQUIRREL, IT SEEMS HUNGRY. RIGHT DAN? (Sign language with voice)
Darin looks at his sister with a "help me" look.
Danelle understood her mission. She nods as Aunty looks at her.
Darin was quick with his action, he grabbed both Danelle's shoulders from the back and pushed their way inside the bungalow.
Aunty sighs and turns to go to the kitchen.
Darin and Danelle reached Danelle's bedroom. She was laughing all the way.
after reaching the bedroom Darin released a sigh of relief.
DARIN: THANK GOD.
Danelle then squatted down, picked a cardboard box, and placed it in bed. She placed some warm pieces of cloth and placed the baby squirrel inside.
DARIN: DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA ABOUT WHAT YOU GONNA FEED IT? (Sign language)
DANELLE: I WILL GOOGLE IT. (Sign language) She starts to browse about it.

She typed "What can I feed a baby squirrel?"

The Google search result came as:

when the baby is warm, give slightly diluted milk, with a pinch of glucose and a drop of curd. Second feeding onwards (every four hours), you can give thick, undiluted milk and also a little curd. Newborn squirrels will also have to be stimulated to make them pass urine and motion. – THE HINDU.

They looked at each other after reading the last sentence about stimulating them to help them with urination and motion.

DARIN: WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO STIMULATE THEM? WHERE TO STIMULATE? (Sign language) confused.

Danelle's eyes widened, she controlled her laughing with pursed lips. She looked at her brother who was starting to understand what it meant, as his expression changed from confused to realization. He funnily bit his lower lips and his eyes got bigger. He gave her side eyes. And he told her.
DARIN: YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN. I'M NOT GONNA TAKE CARE OF IT'S POOP. NOPE. (Sign language)
DANELLE: I WILL TAKE CARE OF IT. (She dramatically turned her head)
Darin shakes in the way "We'll see".
DARIN: BUT WHAT IS IT? A BOY OR A GIRL? AND HOW OLD IS IT?
(Sign language)

DANELLE: AS PER GOOGLE SEARCH RESULTS, IT MAY BE AROUND 20 TO 25 DAYS AS THERE ARE SOME VISIBLE FADE MARKS OF FUR AND ITS EYES ARE STILL CLOSED. ABOUT ITS GENDER, I'M NOT SURE I DIDN'T CHECK. (Sign language)
DARIN: IT WILL BE EASY TO STIMULATE IF IT'S A BOY. (Sign language) side-eye.
Danelle gives him a bombastic side-eye.
Darin gives her a funny expression with a playful grin.
That's when Aunty came to the room with diluted milk—and said.
HEERA: DANELLE, GIVE THIS TO THE BABY SQUIRREL. USE A COTTON BUDS TO FEED IT. Darin translated to Danelle.
Danelle nods smiling.
HEERA: AFTER THAT, YOU BOTH SHOULD COME TO THE DINING HALL TO EAT LUNCH. I'M MAKING YOU GUYS PIZZA.
Darin translated and said
DARIN: YES BOSS. By saluting her.

Aunty and Danelle smiled at his dramatic behavior.
As she was feeding the baby squirrel. Heera was admiring them. Darin talked.

DARIN: WE SHOULD INSTALL WI-FI HERE, RIGHT? (Sign language)
Danelle nods in agreement.
After feeding the baby squirrel Danelle was about to place it back in the box. That's when Darin stopped her—and asked.
DARIN: CAN I HOLD HIM FOR A SECOND? (Sign language)
Danelle nods and hands the baby squirrel to Darin's hand.
The moment she handed it over to him the baby squirrel pooped in Darin's hand.
Complete silence filled the room. Just its squeaking was heard.
Three of them were flabbergasted about what just happened. Darin was too surprised to even make a sound.
DANELLE: IS THIS HOW YOU STIMULATE? YOU SAID YOU WILL NOT HELP ME WITH THIS. (Sign language) Danelle laughs.
HEERA: ANIMALS DO KNOW WHERE TO DO THEIR BUSINESS- laughs.
Darin puts the baby squirrel in the box and runs to the bathroom to wash his hands.

17:00

Danelle and Darin came back from an evening stroll.
They both sat on the sofa.
Aunty came to them with a bottle of hair oil. And shows the bottle to Danelle, and she understands what Aunty means. From Danelle's childhood, she loves Heera's head massages. She smiles and nods. Darin furrowed eyebrows and asked.
DARIN: THEN WHAT ABOUT ME? WHO WILL GIVE ME A HEAD MASSAGE?
HEERA: STOP FROWNING SO MUCH YOU WILL AGE EARLY.
Darin looks at Danelle like a sad puppy.
Danelle understands him. Said.
DANELLE: I WILL DO IT. (Sign language)
: IT'S SURPRISING THAT THEY CAN UNDERSTAND EACH OTHER EVEN WHEN THEY ARE NOT TALKING. Heera thought to herself while admiring them.
Darin and Danelle sit down on the floor. Darin sits in front of Danelle. Danelle taps the sofa behind her for Aunty to sit on.
The massage was so relaxing that Danelle slowly closed her eyes enjoying it. On the other hand, Darin turned to look at his sister with a judging look. He wasn't getting any massage.
Aunty laughed at Darin.
Danelle opened her eyes just to see her brother staring at her. She smiled awkwardly, turned him to face the front, and started to massage him.
suddenly Darin's phone rings. It was from the Wi-Fi company. He picks up his phone.
On phone.

DARIN: HELLO?
WI-FI COMPANY: SIR I'M CHARLES FROM XYZ NETWORK COMPANY. THIS CALL IS REGARDING AN ENQUIRY. ARE YOU INTERESTED IN INSTALLING A WI-FI NETWORK?
DARIN: YEA... I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE DATA PLANS AND OFFERS.
WI-FI COMPANY: SURE SIR, I WILL BE EXPLAINING EVERYTHING...BEFORE THAT CAN YOU TELL ME YOUR LOCATION, SIR?

***
Mr. James walks towards Tristen's cabin. He knocked at the door.
Tristen looks up to see his friend.
TRISTEN: WHAT'S UP?
JAMES: I GOT WHAT YOU NEED.
TRISTEN: HUH?
JAMES: MS. DANELLE'S LOCATION.

Wise people like William Shakespeare, Cicero said- the eyes are the windows of the soul. However, it did not apply to Tristen as he is an expert in disguising his emotions. But his eyes always betray him when it comes to her. As James mentioned about her, his eyes were glittering with emotions. It's surprising for him that she has that much effect on him.

HE. IS. WEAK. AGAINST. HER.

TRISTEN: WHERE IS SHE?

JAMES AND DARIN: VERBODEN BUNGALOW.