CHAPTER VI

The raindrops are dripping drop by drop from the ends of the leaves. The leaves of Colocasia were collecting the rainwater like orbeez. The dim sunlight that eagerly escaped through the nimbostratus clouds and proudly presented itself as a rainbow was a pleasure to the eyes and mind. After the sudden fall of a storm, the weather had become a bit chilly yet exceptionally suitable for evening walks.
Darin and Danelle were about to go on an evening walk as usual.
However, the sound of a car caught their attention. A Cavansite blue Mercedes-Benz GLS was coming towards their car Porch. They looked at each other in confusion as they were not expecting any guests.
The driver rushed out to open the door of the back passenger seat. From the passenger seat, a man in his late 50s emerged with a calm smile. His fox eyes squinted when he smiled and wrinkles- the very evidence of his age, were visible in specific locations on his face. He adjusted his golden-framed glass. Danelle and Darin greet him with a warm smile as they recognize who the gentleman is.

DARIN: HOW ARE YOU UNCLE GANELON. He asked with a smile.
GANELON: IM GOOD MY SON. HOW ABOUT YOU GUYS? Asks and looks at Danelle.
Danelle smiles politely.
DARIN: WE ARE GOOD. COME INSIDE UNCLE. Politely.
Darin leads them towards the living room.

A dark vintage living room with Rhino grey shade of walls surrounding it. The dark aesthetics are perfectly complimented by the espresso oak floor and the shapely mid-century light oak wood furniture, alongside a mid-sized slim chandelier hanging which gives an illusion of beautiful golden candles hanging. The white curtains do their job as the light reflector to give the room a good tint of yellow hue from the chandelier. Even though the exterior vibe and interior vibe are contrasting, it's a magnificently unpredictable piece of work.
Ganelon was exploring the interior of the room. Suddenly Darin speaks.

DARIN: MAKE YOURSELF COMFORTABLE. WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO DRINK UNCLE?
Danelle sat next to Darin as they both were facing Mr. Ganelon.
GANELON: IT'S ALL RIGHT. I'M HERE TO DISCUSS AN URGENT MATTER. Adjusting his glasses.
DARIN: WHAT HAPPENED UNCLE?
GANELON: I KNOW, AFTER THAT ACCIDENT EVERYTHING CHANGED DRASTICALLY. BUT YOU SEE. IT'S CHOITIC. THE COMPANY STAFF IS AT LOSS AS THEY DON'T HAVE SOMEONE TO LEAD THEM. Darin nodded a bit and looked at him in a "what do you want to say" way.
: AS WE ALL KNOW IT WAS DANELLE WHO WAS LEADING THEM ALL AND SHE HAVE DONE A GOOD JOB, BUT.
DARIN: BUT WHAT UNCLE? He asked calmly.
GANELON: BUT NOW I DON'T THINK SHE CAN MANAGE EVERYTHING JUST LIKE BEFORE. SO, WHAT I WANT TO SAY IS... AS YOU DON'T HAVE ANY INTEREST IN THE FAMILY BUSINESS, WHY DON'T WE MARRY HER OFF TO A GOOD GENTLEMAN WHO CAN TAKE CARE OF HER AND THE COMPANY? AND MAKE HIM THE DIRECTOR, HOW IS THAT?
Darin was a bit irritated to hear what his uncle just said but he didn't show any unpleasant expression.
DARIN: BUT UNCLE WHO SAID I'M NOT INTERESTED IN TAKING OVER THE COMPANY? Looking straight at Ganelon with a serious face.
GANELON: WHAT? YOU ARE PLANNING TO TAKE OVER THE COMPANY? BUT YOU WEREN'T INTERESTED IN THESE BEFORE AND YOU DON'T HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE... A bit of nervousness in his tone.
AND EVEN IF YOU ARE PLANNING ON TAKING OVER THE COMPANY YOU NEED TO LEARN INFORMATION LIKE INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL RELATIONS AND DEALINGS. THAT CAN TAKE A LOT OF TIME, MY CHILD. IF SOMEONE WITH EXPERIENCE FILLS UP THE SPOT... Darin cuts him off and speaks.
DARIN: YOU DON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THAT UNCLE. I CAN LEARN FROM THE SENIOR STAFF AND ASSISTANTS.
GANELON: BUT STILL, YOU MAY NEED THE ASSISTANCE OF A TRUSTWORTHY PERSON. SO, UNTIL YOU LEARN ABOUT ALL, WHY DON'T WE APPOINT SOMEONE TRUSTWORTHY AS A TEMPORARY DIRECTOR? SEE THERE WILL BE A LOT OF ADVANTAGES.
DARIN: LIKE? He controls his expression and speaks.
GANELON: YOU WILL GET A GOOD TEACHER AND GUIDE, THE COMPANY CAN BE SAVED, AND MORE IMPORTANTLY, DANELLE CAN GET A HUSBAND. LET'S BE FRANK, NO ONE WILL MARRY A GIRL WHO LOST HER HEARING AND VOICE IN A DEADLY ACCIDENT, WITH GOOD INTENTIONS. EVEN YOUR AUNT SEES HER AS UNLUCKY RAVEN FOR NOT DYING WITH BROTHER-IN-LAW AND SISTER-IN-LAW. Said while slightly looking at Danelle. SHE IS ALREADY 28 YEARS OLD. MORE TO SAY, WITH DISABILITIES. DO YOU THINK ANY NORMAL SUITOR WILL MARRY HER. IF SHE MARRIES ANYONE WITH DISABILITIES LIKE HER, THEN YOU HAVE DOUBLE BURDENS. LET'S BE PRACTICAL, SHE WILL NOT BE OF ANY USE TO THE COMPANY OR US OTHER THAN THE POLITICAL POWER GAINED BY HER MARRIAGE. He said in a slightly mocking tone with an irritated expression.
Ganelon's expression changed from an irritated to a forced smile as he saw Danelle's attention was on him. It takes a minute for a chameleon to change its color but he was faster than a chameleon.
Darin clenched his fist so hard that his knuckles turned white. He was on the verge of shoving Ganelon's face into the glass tea table that was in front of them for his statement. Darin swaps his attention to Danelle who is showing her warm smile to Ganelon who is mocking her. Then Danelle looked at Darin with a slightly confused smile and raised her both eyebrows quickly as if she were asking "What happened" after seeing his expression. Darin was hardly controlling his anger, every time he heard Ganelon talking about his sister like some kind of pawn, his blood boiled. He can't respond to these remarks in front of Danelle as she will be worried and take all these to heart. He took a deep breath and exhaled.
He shakes his head "Nothing" while looking at her with a smile. She smiled back innocently.
Then I turned to look at Uncle.
GANELON: WHAT I'M TRYING TO SAY IS, I HAVE A GENTLEMAN WHO WILL BE PERFECT. YOU KNO...Darin cuts him off again.
DARIN: UNCLE, THANK YOU FOR LETTING US KNOW ABOUT YOUR NEW MATRIMONIAL BUSINESS. AS FOR NOW, DANELLE IS NOT PLANNING TO GET MARRIED. AND IF SHE EVER PLANS, I WILL NOT ARRANGE ANY OTHER BROKERS OTHER THAN YOU. He said sarcastically. AND THIS COMPANY IS OUR FAMILY BUSINESS, AN OUTSIDER LIKE YOU DOESN'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT IT. YOU SHOULD WORRY ABOUT THE DEBT, THAT YOU STILL HAVEN'T PAID BACK TO MY SISTER. AND ABOUT THE TUTOR, WHO IS MORE SUITABLE THAN MY SISTER WHO HAS LED THE COMPANY FOR SO MANY YEARS? AND IF YOU STILL WANT THE MARRIAGE TO HAPPEN, YOU CAN MARRY OFF YOUR DAUGHTER WHO IS PREGNANT BY A ONE-NIGHT STAND. AS YOUR COMPANY NEEDS MORE POLITICAL POWER THAN US. HOPE YOU HAVE A SAFE TRIP BACK. He calmly said with a smile. But his eyes had contrasting expressions.

Ganelon was embarrassed to his core as he was not expecting these sharp words from Darin. So, he stood up slowly and said.
GANELON: OH, IS THAT SO. I DIDN'T SAY ALL THESE TO MAKE YOU ANGRY DARIN. ANYWAY, I'M TAKING MY LEAVE. He walked toward the door.
With all this sudden commotion, Danelle had a confused expression and she looked at Darin. But Darin smiled at Danelle like nothing happened.
When Ganelon reaches the door suddenly he turns to look at Danelle. And speaks.

GANELON: OH MY. I FORGOT THAT I HAVE BOUGHT A GIFT FOR YOU DANELLE. DRIVER, BRING THAT HERE. The driver bought a golden statue of a deer head with red jeweled eyes and gave it to Ganelon.
Darin was trying hard to control his anger when he saw the golden deer statue. As he knows what it means to gift someone a golden deer.

[Golden deer was used by Ravana to capture Sita. It was a pure incident of trauma and trap. And gifting a golden deer symbolizes the same.]

GANELON: HERE. I KNOW YOU LIKE DEER. He says it with a sly smile.

The motives were clear.
Darin knew he was declaring the betrayal in a very cheap way.
Danelle looks at the deer and smiles politely at Ganelon as she receives it.
after receiving it she turns and walks towards the showcase wall and places the statue on the shelf near the heads of 9 mummified deer.
Darin stays behind Uncle's back watching Ganelon's expressions.
DARIN: IN HERE, SHE HUNTS. Said in a bit raspy voice proudly with a slight smirk as if he was mocking Ganelon.
Ganelon was taken aback by hearing the sudden voice from his behind. flustered. he turns to leave.
GANELON: DRIVER TAKE THE CAR. And leaves.

Darin deeply sighs.
Heera who was in the next room hearing everything came near them and spoke.
HEERA: YOU GUYS WERE ABOUT TO GO FOR A WALK RIGHT? GO. TAKE YOUR MIND OF FROM EVERYTHING...GET SOME FRESH AIR DARIN. She lightly taps Darin's shoulder and gives him a reassuring smile.
DARIN: smiles back. OK, AUNTY. WE WILL BE BACK.
Danelle smiles at both of them.

They went on with their evening walk.

The chilly weather was very calming for Darin. He inhaled and exhaled sharply.
Suddenly Darin noticed old gardener Uncle Asem. Darin turned in Danelle's direction, She smiled at Uncle Asem warmly which gave wrinkles on both sides of her eyes. She started to walk towards him. She was about to increase her pace, but Asem told her to slow down using a hand gesture.

Mr. Asem was their old worker and Danelle's best friend. His wife Aunty Elma is her first nanny and is a mother figure to her. They don't have any children, so they consider Danelle as their own. Just like Heera, they were very important ones in her life.
Uncle Asem put forward his both hands and Danelle happily took his hands by hers. That's their way of greeting each other. Communication between them was not difficult, as Uncle Asem was also deaf but extremely sharp that he could read lips. They were having their own moment. Uncle was asking about her well-being and teasing her about their matters. Their laugh and giggling were very pleasing for Darin as he silently observed their bond.
Suddenly Uncle looks at Darin and asks how he is and about his stay. Darin smiled and replied in sign language that he was fine and the stay was all right. Uncle Asem was impressed by Darin's sign language.
Danelle put forward her left hand in front of Darin. He quickly understood what she meant. So, he took the cheque from his pocket and gave it to her and she passed it to Uncle Asem. Aunty Elma was seriously sick. She needed surgery as soon as possible but the fee was huge and could not be paid with Uncle Asem's salary alone.
Uncle Asem was not ready to accept the cheque, but she told one thing that made him accept the cheque.
DANELLE: THIS IS FOR MUMMA. BRING HER BACK TO FULL HEALTH PA.
That made Uncle Asem widen his eyes as he had flashbacks. The woman who was in front of him was the same little girl who called them Pa and Mumma for the first time in their life. She gave them the pure bliss of having a child.
It's been 16 years, there was no contact between them. he thought while these years being apart, she might never call them Pa and Mumma ever again. But after seeing her addressing them as Mumma and Pa like before he was experiencing all sorts of emotions.
Uncle took her hands, kissed them, and nodded while looking at her with teary eyes.
With his shivering and aged hands, he caressed and patted her head as lovingly as anyone could ever do. Even Darin who was watching them could feel the warmth of that pat.

UNCLE ASEM: WHEN YOU BOTH ARE FREE, VISIT US. I WILL PREPARE YOUR FAVOURITES. In sign language. Looking at both of them.

Danelle and Darin nod while smiling.
Then Uncle Asem says his goodbyes as he needs to visit his wife Aunty Elma.
Darin and Danelle wave their hands. They stood there watching as Uncle Asem slowly walked away and faded from their vision.

Then Danelle slowly walked toward a high place which can considered as a small garden with showy stonecrop and moonbeam. By standing there she could see their other parts of the estate and one house which was just below the place where she was standing.
The house was an unoccupied house which was built long ago. It was built in old style and surrounded by catmint and New England aster flowers.
While she was standing there, she noticed a black Mercedes G63 which was parked in front of that house. She couldn't quite say if there was a person or not as the glasses had a black tint to them. while she was observing, Darin was looking around. Darin suddenly noticed the rainbow and he came near Danelle and waved his hand in front of Danelle's face to catch her attention. Danelle looks at Darin and looks in the direction where he is pointing. The rainbow was very clear and appeared over the land. As they were enjoying the moment. Darin spoke in sign language.

DARIN: AS PER THE BIBLE, IT SAYS THAT WHEN YOU SEE A RAINBOW IT MEANS IT IS A SIGN OF LOVE AND PEACE FROM THE GOD.
Danelle chuckle.
DANELLE: THERE ARE A LOT OF SUPERSTITIONS ABOUT RAINBOW. SOME OF THE AFRICAN TRIBES BELIEVE THAT IT IS THE SIGN OF AN EVIL SPIRIT LOOKING FOR A VICTIM.
DARIN: WHAT? BUT RAINBOWS ARE BEAUTIFUL.
DANELLE: YES IT IS. BUT, EVEN THE DEVIL HIMSELF WAS AN UNSURPASSED BEAUTY. Shrugs.
DARIN: ANYWAY, THESE ARE ALL COMPLETE MYTHS. He said while shaking his head a bit.
Danelle smiled at his statement.
DARIN: WE SHOULD HEAD HOME NOW.
Danelle turns around to face him completely and nods in agreement.
Then Darin acts out the "ladies first" by bowing and making way using his hand. Danelle chuckled and bowed back elegantly.

Suddenly a wave of chills ran over her body. She got a very unpleasant yet familiar feeling that she couldn't quite wrap her head around. As if she is been watched. She turned towards the front and looked around to see whether someone was watching her. But finds none. Only the car which was parked in front of that house. She was staring at the car trying to figure out what this unpleasant feeling was about. Suddenly Darin notices his sister staring at something and he goes near her and asks.
DARIN: IS SOMETHING WRONG? He asked worriedly.
Danelle shakes her head No and smiles.
She turns and walks. Darin on the other hand got an unpleasant feeling just like his sister, but not a familiar one. he has this gut feeling that something is not right or something bad is coming.
He looks around but sees nothing, so he shakes off his thoughts and follows his sister.
Darin slowly catches up with Danelle. while walking Darin puts his hand on Danelle's and swings. Danelle slightly laughs at his childish behavior yet enjoys this very moment. This was their way of reliving their childhood memories of swinging hands while walking.
Then they slowly walked back to their home.
but even when they were laughing and smiling Danelle couldn't shake off that disquieting sense. The feeling was not just of someone staring at her, but the feeling of being naked, being scrutinized and she was getting the flares of something wicked, something devilish. She turns around to look at the rainbow once again with a slightly worried face. She was anxious about that tingling sensation.
she looks around once again to see whether someone has put their eyes on her. But finds none. She shakes off her feeling and they continue to swing their hand and walk towards their home.

But she was right about the rainbow.

THE DEVIL HAS FOUND HIS ONE AND ONLY VICTIM.

: SHE IS BEWITCHING, JUST LIKE I SAW HER THE LAST TIME.
NOW NOT EVEN THE ALMIGHTY CAN TAKE YOU AWAY FROM ME.
MY SOURCE FOR REDEMPTION.