✯ 𝓬H𝖆𝒑𝒕Ⓔ𝐑 𝐅iᵥ🅴✯

The doors locked, sending a loud echo through the holding chamber, leaving me all alone in my cell.

Coldness overtook me, the completely white interior being the obvious catalyst, as there was no air conditioning, only a few vents in the top of the soundproofed wall.

"I found her in Fury's office, after I had told him I had a handle on it- I was lied to," Sitwell said into his earpiece, "Yes, she's detained now, we'll figure out what to do with her soon. We probably won't be able to do anything with her for a while- but a second chance isn't out of the question."

I raised my eyebrow with a smile. Soon, a second chance will be out of the question.

But did I really want it to?

Since I was young, I wanted two things in life.

To work for SHIELD, and to make my proud Dad. Whether it was making good grades at the academy, completing a mission without any bumps, or maybe even making a really good cake, it was always the objective.

And now I had to choose. Avenge my Dad, or keep working for SHIELD.

I had a second chance to think about what I wanted, something I had forgotten to think about in the heat of the moment.

Maybe if I was really good about it- all of this rebellion- they'd give me a third chance.

Or maybe this was my chance to get free.

I never liked having to deal with the enemies, no matter what they did. Except that scientist I had just encountered in Argentina. It was one of the things I truly hated with my whole being.

Human experimentation. I'm a human experiment.

And I don't even know what they did to me. I know they gave me heightened strength, hence... well, being able to join SHIELD at such a young age.

Dad was one of the Agents that answered the report, on May 12th, 1992. He'd only been working at SHIELD for a short while, and it was one of his first missions.

I had grabbed Dad's finger, and accidentally broke it. That's how they found out I had amplified strength.

Even after they took me to shield, Dad advocated to find a SHIELD Agent to adopt me. He tried for weeks and weeks, but couldn't find anyone. So he did.

Often I wonder what I would be doing today if I was never taken and experimented on.

Maybe I would have a mom, a dad, siblings, pets. If I would've been good at sports or what job I would have. Probably a vet. Or a bird watcher. Or a poet. Maybe even a politician if I really shoot for the stars.

I try not to dwell on what could've been, as what is is always more important than what could've been.

Which put me right back where I started.

Sitwell turned off his ear monitor, turning back to me.

"You need some time to think about what you've done," he said, tilting his head towards me, his eyebrows knitted, "Your Dad's funeral is scheduled for Thursday at 4:00 PM, I'm sure that gives you plenty of time to work things out with yourself."

We were surrounded by cameras, but thankfully I could see right past the facade.

Before Sitwell 'ran into' me, we had devised a quick plan on how to get me out of here and to the weapons transport trucks.

He said that almost all weapons were used or transported to New York during the battle, and they would be coming back through DC tomorrow at 8:30 AM.

I needed to break out of this cell before 8:30, or... I could put the fists away for a while.