Chapter 19

Sheets of rain poured down on a black and white sign that was brightly lit up. The rumbling, dark clouds sat stubbornly in the sky, releasing endless drops of water that trickled down the many colored monsters.

They were all gathered together with their many hues of color. Most of them were red, black, white, blue, and yellow. Not a single one of them stirred against the storm. All of them rested in silence without a single growl from their bellies.

Below the sign, a large nest was filled with bustling, loud Twolegs. They seemed to be frustrated with each other, their voices rising so loud they could be heard outside of the nest. Some of them remained calmly seated, staring at the loud Twolegs anticipatingly. Strange, silver glimmering pieces of metal were in front of them and snowy white stones.

"I need an apple pie at table four!" One of the Twoleg's yelled into a brightly lit room with smashing sounds coming from it.

Another Twoleg rushed and collected one of the white stones, but this time, it had Twoleg food  on it. It moved carefully through the crowds so the food wouldn't fall, then it opened the nest from the back, taking the stone with the food and throwing the food into a huge, red hole.

"Here's the hash browns. Try to make it faster." A Twoleg rolled its eyes as the other one came back into the nest. He threw a white stone piled with more food on it, and the other Twoleg took it away.  

As the nest was shutting, a white, glimmering pelt moved swiftly, diving into the giant, red hole and disappearing.  All that could be seen was piles of Twoleg food inside of it, the stench of it rising in the smoky sky and filling the air. 

Tawnypelt scented the air, then tried to swallow down her nausea. Her face wrinkled from the scent of the Twoleg food and the Thunderpath.

It must be here somewhere.

Under the shelter, of a green, open Twoleg shelter, she looked around anxiously. 

"What are we waiting for?!" A dark tom snapped as he watched the sleeping monsters with narrowed eyes.

Tawnypelt sighed. "I told you Crowstar, I saw my shadow speak to me at this place. It told me I could find it by the Thunderpath." She looked down at her paws uncomfortably. "I thought maybe it would help us find the missing cats."

Crowstar scowled silently, while beady yellow eyes watched him amusingly.

"Maybe we should look around, then we'll find something." The black tom with yellow eyes purred. "I don't mind going and checking if you want to wait here."

Crowstar turned and glared at him. "Do you really think I would trust you to go anywhere by yourself?" He looked over at the noisy Twoleg nest. "If you want to look around the area, I'm coming with you."

The black tom shrugged. "Suit yourself." 

Padding away stealthily, he moved under the sleeping monsters bravely, avoiding the possible glances of Twolegs.

Crowstar rolled his eyes with a hiss and followed him.

"Don't you think this is far enough?" Crowstar's blue eyes shone under the dark shadow of the monster's belly.

But the black tom with him either didn't hear him or didn't care. He continued until he reached the front of the nest where there was a massive, red hole. It looked like a hole, but it wasn't in the ground. Crowstar was sure he had never seen anything like it before, and he couldn't bear to breathe in the smell of it.

"What the-?" As he looked up at the massive red object, Obsidianstar's ears pricked up. Inside of it, a large, white tail was sticking out like an overgrown feather. The cat slowly turned with hesitation to meet the eyes of Crowstar and Obsidianstar.