Chapter 8: Set Sail, The Mission Starts

"Don't do this, don't shut me out!" The pleas from Viola coupled with the sound of her frantic footsteps following close behind you had you struggling to maintain composure. After your discussion with Doflamingo, you rushed out of his office without so much of another word spoken to anyone. Your mind was already made up, it was clear to you that this is what you needed to do.

"Are you just going to give up so easily!" Viola shouted, her words jabbing at you like a knife. You quickened your pace, nearly jogging as you approached your room while covering both of your ears with your hands. You couldn't handle this much emotional turmoil in such a short amount of time, you didn't know what to think or feel. "Listen to me, please," Viola followed you into your room as she slammed and locked your door shut, her long hair whipped as she turned on her heel.

"Did you know about this!" You didn't even have time to process your thoughts, the words just naturally spilled out of your mouth. "About my father.." your voice quivered so slightly, but you refrained from crying. You needed to remain strong, no matter how much your heart ached, you couldn't crumble.

Viola averted her gaze, a sincere expression on her face as she fell silent for the first time. "If I told you, I would have met death," she eventually spoke, "I was forced to keep quiet." Her voice was somber, and you could tell she was pained to admit this to you. But you couldn't forgive her, not when you poured your trust and loyalty into her so easily.

"I thought we were friends," you spoke harshly, "but I guess that's what I get for going against my father and his teachings. I should have known better, that's on me." You turned around, you couldn't face her and look her in the eyes. Your nose began to burn and your eyes sting from holding back your tears, "when I leave, don't expect me to follow through with our plans after I return," you croaked.

"I know you're hurting right now, you're not thinking clearly" Viola shot back, "so anything you say to me I will forget. Doflamingo wanted you to feel weak, he wanted you to be reminded of his bidding. It's all part of his plan."

You scoffed in response, "I'm thinking clearly right now Viola, but are you? Let's face the truth here, no one is strong enough to take him down. The marines have done nothing, we're trapped here. It's not like some pirates are going to be able to waltz in here and suddenly change our situation." You took in a shaky breath, your jaw tensing as you furiously wiped your eyes, "I'm done pretending I'm someone I'm not."

"When you return, we'll speak again. I can only hope you find your true self out there," Viola spat back, her own eyes welling in tears. "I don't fully disagree with you, but I'm still holding out hope, I'm not giving in as easily as you are!" She paused for a moment, you could feel her eyes boring into the back of your head, almost as if expecting a response which you did not give. She eventually let out a sigh as she turned to leave, "I'll see you at dinner tonight."

You heard your door creak open and then her footsteps march out, your door closing shut behind her. You let out a breath of air, your shoulders slumping as you wiped your hands down your face. The silence in your room was deafening, but you also welcomed it as you were already feeling overwhelmed. You didn't know how much more you could take, it felt as if the longer you fought for your life, the more it killed you. You shuffled over to the edge of your bed and sat down, your body nearly shattering into pieces. It was in this silence your thoughts began to arise, your mind catching up from today's events.

"Don't cry," you scolded yourself as you felt the warm liquid roll down your cheek, "don't cry," you repeated while replaying the visual of the newspaper. Your bottom lip quivered as your gut wrenched, your chest tightening as more and more tears blurred your vision. You covered your mouth with your hand to suppress your sobs, your entire body shaking in the process. You've never felt more alone, your father was gone and now you were pushing Viola away. Everyone you've ever felt a connection to slowly withered away leaving you isolated.