Chapter 3: Dressrosa

Hours had passed since you left your home, the island had disappeared so quickly, but you never left your spot on the back of the ship. Your eyes were fixated on the same position, your mind replaying the way your father stood and bid you farewell, the way how his face turned red from how hard he was crying.

The salty, warm wind gently swayed your locks of hair, the sun now beginning to set and the moon peeking over the horizon. You eventually looked up at the sky, the light blue shifting to more of a darker purple. The stars sparkled in the darkness, greeting you with a symphony of designs as they gradually became more and more brighter. The canvas of the sky brought back memories of you and your mother star gazing, naming two stars after each other. It was the only memory you allowed yourself to keep locked away in your heart, one that you refused to forget. You hummed at the sight of the two stars you claimed, their light flickering and dancing together.

"Hey, hey! Look it's Dressrosa!" Trebol excitedly pointed towards an island that just came into view. You raised your brows while walking over to where he stood, his finger trained on what looked to be a field full of flowers. You could see lights past it, probably where the town was. On top stood a grand castle, it standing above everyone in almost a daunting way. It wasn't as lit up as the town, but you could tell there were inhabitants based on the way some of the windows glowed with soft yellow light.

You recalled visiting Dressrosa only once, but you had to have been only four or five, so your memories were fairly hazy. You planted yourself next to Trebol as the ship sailed towards the island, eventually coming to a halt once it docked. You took a few deep inhales, your brain buzzing with all of the possibilities of who you would be serving would be like. If he was as despicable as your father said he was, perhaps he was like a gargoyle. Or maybe some kind of a beast, cloaked and disfigured. Or maybe-

"Are you coming or what?" Trebol broke your wild imagination, an annoyed look on his face as he walked down the ramp of the ship.

"Forgive me, I was lost in thought," you sheepishly admitted as you scurried to catch up to him. The two of you trekked down a back road, it being eerily silent with only the sounds of your footsteps echoing. The reality of the situation never occurred to you until it dawned on you that you were truly on your own. You were so used to leaning on your father for support, always feeling safe in his presence, but now he was gone. No use in second guessing your abilities or your worth, it was too late for that now.

"Young Master! Hey! Hey! We've arrived," Trebol sung as the two of you entered the castle. The inside felt just as cold and lonely as the outside, everything being dimly lit and rustic. You could feel your heart pounding in your throat, but you had to put on a stoic facade, you couldn't let your feelings be your weakness. Not when you worked so hard to suppress them.

Trebol led you inside two, grand double doors, yellow light peaking through its cracks as it opened. You coaxed yourself as you strolled in, scolding your heart for betraying your mind. You stood tall, putting on the best brave face you could as you heard the doors creak shut behind you.

"Ah, at long last Trebol," a familiar voice sighed in glee, "and I see you've brought the brat, good work." Your eyes landed on a tall figure, one much taller than you, casually sat in a chair with one leg thrown over the other.

You bowed slightly and immediately averted your gaze down to the red carpet beneath you, your head now beginning to pound as adrenaline coursed through your veins. The mere sight of him struck fear through you, you could tell by his aura alone he was much stronger than he let on. It was no wonder your father reacted the way he did when Doflamingo rung his transponder snail.

Your actions earned a laugh, Doflamingo sticking his tongue out of his mouth as he licked his lips, "your father raised you well! A child with manners is so hard to come by." You could see him stand up from his chair as you returned to your original position, the palms of your hands becoming clammy at the sight of him approaching you. Doflamingo leered over you, his red tinted glasses reflected your petrified face. "And what's your story?" The words dripped out of his lips like poison, a smile so cynical that it sent shivers down your spine.

"I don't have one," you told the truth, "I am merely a tool to be used."

A laugh filled the air, "so how about I give you one?" He appeared amused, his smile only growing larger as he towered over you. A shadow from his figure was cast over you, engulfing you in darkness.

You stared at your reflection in his glasses, your jaw clenching as you mustered up the courage to speak once more, "I am however you want to make me."

He titled his head back, this time a laugh so loud it made it your ears ring, "I like you brat," his said in between laughs, "perhaps you'll be of good use to me." He shoved both hands in his pockets as he turned around, walking with confidence while sauntering back over to his chair. "Trebol," he called while taking a seat, "see to it that she gets her own room."

"Right away young master!" Trebol immediately obliged, his own smile mirroring Doflamingo's.

You stood planted in the middle of the room, your lips sealed as you waited for further instructions. "I take it you know what will happen if you betray me?" Doflamingo had a glass of red wine in his hand, swirling around the liquid with a book held in the other.

You remained silent, your brows furrowing as you pondered his question, "you'll kill me?" You answered after a few moments.

He smirked as he took a sip from his glass, "not before I make you watch your home crumble right in front of your eyes." He then looked up from his book as he continued, "I like to view myself as a generous man, when my family fails me, I don't blame them. So long as you remain loyal to me, I'll protect your families little dirt secrets."

You slowly nodded your head as you felt a single sweat drop roll down the side of your cheek from his threats. He knew exactly how to play his cards, but you also knew how to play the game. Just do as he says, and you'll survive. That's your true mission.

"Now, I have one request for you," Doflamingo said while fetching something out of his pocket. "To give you an idea, I killed my only blood related brother," he snickered, "because he betrayed me and secretly worked with the marines." He outstretched his middle and index finger, a small rectangle picture slid in between the two.

You carefully retrieved it from him and flipped it around so the picture was facing you. "See that brat?" He growled, "he stole something from me." Your eyes flickered over to the young boy in the picture, not much older than yourself. You studied the white hat on top of his head down to his pale skin and dark circles around his eyes.

"Is this someone you need me to kill?" You asked as you looked up to the man with short, spiked blond hair in front of you.

He hummed in response, "that boy in the picture is Trafalgar Law, you'll be sure to remember his name as he's someone I want dead." Doflamingo took another sip from his wine glass, "however I need to make sure you're strong enough to even attempt to assassinate him as your fool of a father didn't give you enough experience."

You winced at the sound of him calling your father a fool, but knew that if you even thought of correcting him you'd be in a world of pain. "I understand," you spoke quietly as you stashed the photo of the young boy in your pocket.

"Glad to see we're on the same page," Doflamingo chuckled lowly, "your training will begin tomorrow morning." And with that, he ushered you out with a flick of his wrist as he reopened his book and began to read.

Survive, even if that means doing his bidding. You'll train hard so that you can live to see another day, you won't fail.