Chapter 12: The Day (Qibli's POV)

Small disclaimer: I don't know how weddings work so sorry if I get some info wrong or something.

A few months later

Qibli was staring at himself in the mirror. It was the day before the wedding, and he was trying to see if the suits he bought actually looked good on him. So far, none of them seemed really appealing. He felt uncomfortable in all of them, probably because he's barely ever had to wear clothes ever in his life. After his tenth and final suit, he still wasn't satisfied. He had to pick one, but all of them looked the same, all black with a red tie and/or bowtie, and none of them were one Qibli actually felt good wearing. He always thought clothes were stupid, why did they need them anyway? And how come dresses were so much more versatile than suits? Qibli was considering on wearing a dress, but he already spent so much money on the suits, he felt bad asking Winter for more. He decided to just pick at random and hope for the best. 

Once he picked his suit and put it on, Qibli didn't feel much better, but at least he had one picked out for tomorrow. He suddenly heard a knock at the front door, so Qibli went to answer it. Turns out, Winter had the same idea. They both went to the door, but Qibli let Winter open it. At the door, was surprisingly Winter's father, King Narwhal.

"Dad?! What are you doing here?" Winter asked in shock.

"Well, I couldn't miss my son's wedding, could I?" Narwhal spread his wings as if offering a hug, but Winter didn't catch the hint.

"Oh, I'm surprised you got an invitation. Well, thank you, I guess. But who's running the kingdom while you're gone?" Winter asked. Narwhal rested his wings at his side in disappointment, but kept smiling.

"Oh, just some of my most trusted guards. I brought a few with me too, since I guess people want to kill me here or something," Narwhal responded. Behind him were about three guards behind him, one of them was much bulkier than the others though. This one was standing right as his side. He was quite handsome.

"I see, well, thanks for stopping by, dad," 

"It's a pleasure! I hope you at least tolerate me now?" Narwhal said hopefully. Qibli knew that he sent Winter letters, but Winter never responded back, despite Qibli's pestering. His reasoning was apparently that "Narwhal was still a shitty person", which Qibli always responded with "well yes, but he's clearly trying to change now!" and the argument never went anywhere. Qibli did wish their relationship was better, but he also understood how Winter felt.

"Well, I've always 'tolerated' you compared to Tundra, but yeah, you've definitely improved since she died. You seem a lot happier," Winter replied. Qibli also noticed the drastic shift in personality in Narwhal, comparing his miserable state with Tundra and his much happier state after he killed her.

Qibli still felt bad about it. He knew that she deserved it, and everybody forgave him and supported him, but something in Qibli's gut still felt terrible about having that sudden outburst. It wasn't like him to just kill someone because they pissed him off. Then again, she was going to kill Winter, so maybe that was truly the only way to get rid of her. Qibli had this mental battle everyday since he killed Tundra, and he didn't know how to stop thinking about it. At least with the wedding, he's been able to focus on other things. 

"Well, that's good at least. I'll see you two tomorrow! I'm very proud of you Winter, whether you believe it or not, I really and proud of how far you've gotten," Narwhal smiled hopefully at his son. Winter attempted to smile back.

"Thank you, see you," With that, Winter closed the door and sighed.

"What's wrong?" Qibli asked.

"Nothing, it's just... I still don't know how to feel about my father. For all I know, he could be faking all of this just to get me back in the Ice Kingdom! I- I just have trouble trusting him, that's all," Winter looked at the floor. Qibli wrapped a wing around him.