5.

Vivek Rai

"Never been better" Avika said and smiled.

She might act all she wants, but she was nowhere near fine. I haven't seen her this much worked up in forever. She was covered in sweat and looked pale, as if she had seen a ghost.

I didn't want to push her, so I didn't ask further questions and parked the car. I got off and waited for her, but she was lost somewhere so I went to her side and knocked on the window.

When she flinched a little, I opened the door and motioned for her to come out.
I put my hand on the small of her back as soon as she got out. Both of us made our way towards the entrance door of the house.

She rang the bell and stood straight. The door opened, and at the sight of her father, I felt her spine stiffen. I despised that old bastard, and I was certain that she did too. I've never once seen them talking properly. Neither here, nor during college time.

I nodded at him while Avika lowered her gaze and didn't say anything. He then moved aside, giving us a clear path to enter. I didn't greet or talk much to her father since he had made that clear on the day when my family went to meet hers.

We entered inside and went straight towards the dining table. Afterall, what were we here for? 

As soon as I reached the table, I saw some other relatives of her too. I was a little surprised, but I didn't show it. She hadn't told me that they were gonna be here too, not like I would've done anything if she did, but still. Upon sitting, I looked at her with a questioning gaze and she returned me the 'i-didn't-know-either' look while slightly shrugging her shoulders.

"So Vivek.." Her father started, just as an old woman started placing the dishes and food on the table. "How is Avika doing there? I hope she isn't disappointing you with her bad household skills"

"Absolutely not. In fact I'm very pleased with her being such a perfect wife, exactly the type I wished for." I smiled without any humour or actual happiness in it, which made his face go all red.

Everybody started devouring the food without another word. While to me, it tasted like a wet cardboard. I wanted to talk to Avika about our marriage contract and her asshole of a father spoilt everything.

I wasn't getting the pen drive and files I wanted and the expire date of our contract was arriving near day by day. I was supposed to do everything within 6 months, but I realized they weren't enough. I needed at least an year. So I had to make a new contract and get her to sign it.

"Avika beta tum toh moti hogyi ho. Thoda Kam khaya kro" A woman in her mid-40s sneered, which I guessed was her bua.
(Avika, you're growing fat. Eat little less.)

"Maine hi bola h jyda khaya kre, Varna apki budhi ki trh kuposhit paida ho skte h" I said passing my beautiful smile to her. Red smeared all over her face, the same as her brother. Her brother looked at me and then at her sister, silently telling her to calm down. He knows better than to say anything to me. And who the hell was she to decide how much my wife ate?
(I've asked her to eat more, or else our children would be born malnutrition like your brain)

He then, cleared his throat and begun again, "How is your company doing?"
"Pretty well" I said and continued to eat. I didn't care if I was being disrespectful, because they insulted my wife and I won't spare them. I might not like her, but for the time being she was my wife and it was my responsibility to save her from this toxic panchayat who referred to themselves as her family.

My phone pinged with a message and I just spared a second's glance, which was enough for me to read it and know who sent it.

Rabbit: Please behave yourself!!